Posted to dev@maven.apache.org by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com> on 2011/07/24 15:14:31 UTC

POM5 proposal

Since I can't edit the Wiki, I created:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k3E4vx_4cKJ4zzksVM4oROX3Dffsh0Q4VOGVjd3oUto/edit?hl=en_US

Re: POM5 proposal

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Folks,

A general theme of these comments is, 'and what are we going to put in
our new pom version?'

I didn't go there in my writeup, since I was concerned with the
mechanics of 'how do we have a new POM *at all*'. But I see the point;
we can't make a new pom model every week, so we need to combine a
substantial list of proposed enhancements.

Perhaps other could add more wiki content to start this?

When I think about this, I find myself wishing that we could invent a
middle ground between 'no changes at all' and 'a new major version.'

In the same way that individual plugins can add new <configuration/>
elements any time, I'd like to enhance my overall proposal to include
a section on 'future-proofing' the next schema rev by adding a few
judicious <xs:any/> specifications and documenting some conventions
for their use. In other words, as of 'pom5', any tool that reads a POM
should be prepared to gracefully ignore things it doesn't expect in
some specified areas of the schema. How broad should this be?

I'd also like to specify that all parsers should be namespace-aware,
so that third-parties can define their own POM additions via
namespaces.

FInally, for today, does anyone have any sympathy for focussing on RNG
schema instead of W3C?

Re: POM5 proposal

RE: POM5 proposal (a long-winded response)

Posted by Martin Gainty <mg...@hotmail.com>.
************************maven.mdo**************
<model>
  <id>maven</id>
  <name>Maven</name>
  <description>
    <![CDATA[
    <ul>

**********where http://maven.apache.org/maven-v4_0_0.xsd looks like******************
<xs:element name="scm" minOccurs="0" type="Scm">
−
<xs:annotation>
<xs:documentation source="version">4.0.0</xs:documentation>
−
<xs:documentation source="description">
            Specification for the SCM used by the project, such as CVS, Subversion, etc.
</xs:documentation>
</xs:annotation>
</xs:element>

**************where scm ComplexType is defined as *******************
<xs:complexType name="Scm">
−
<xs:annotation>
<xs:documentation source="version">4.0.0</xs:documentation>
</xs:annotation>
−
<xs:all>
−
<xs:element name="connection" minOccurs="0" type="xs:string">
−
<xs:annotation>
<xs:documentation source="version">4.0.0</xs:documentation>
−
<xs:documentation source="description">
              The source control management system URL
              that describes the repository and how to connect to the
              repository. For more information, see the
              and <a href="http://maven.apache.org/scm/scms-overview.html">list of supported SCMs</a>.
              This connection is read-only.
</xs:documentation>
</xs:annotation>
</xs:element>
−
<xs:element name="developerConnection" minOccurs="0" type="xs:string">
−
<xs:annotation>
<xs:documentation source="version">4.0.0</xs:documentation>
−
<xs:documentation source="description">
            Just like <code>connection</code>, but for developers, i.e. this scm connection
            will not be read only.
</xs:documentation>
</xs:annotation>
</xs:element>
−
<xs:element name="tag" minOccurs="0" type="xs:string" default="HEAD">
−
<xs:annotation>
<xs:documentation source="version">4.0.0</xs:documentation>
−
<xs:documentation source="description">
            The tag of current code. By default, it's set to HEAD during development.
</xs:documentation>
</xs:annotation>
</xs:element>
−
<xs:element name="url" minOccurs="0" type="xs:string">
−
<xs:annotation>
<xs:documentation source="version">4.0.0</xs:documentation>
−
<xs:documentation source="description">
            The URL to the project's browsable SCM repository, such as ViewVC or Fisheye.
</xs:documentation>
</xs:annotation>
</xs:element>
</xs:all>
</xs:complexType>

the additional elements could be added to child elements of a new 'Scm2' element which is of name="Scm" (ComplexType Scm)
1)is it possible to accurately identify the name and type of all additional elements for new element Scm2 ?
2)what is mares next?

Martin
excruciatingly long disclaimer goes here

Re: POM5 proposal

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: POM5 proposal

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: POM5 proposal

Posted by Brett Porter <br...@apache.org>.
Are you sure?

Re: POM5 proposal

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.

Re: POM5 proposal

Posted by Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>.
Ping? anybody read this?

Re: POM5 proposal

Posted by Jeff MAURY <je...@jeffmaury.com>.
On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 7:45 PM, Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com> wrote:

> Vincent that seems like a mistake.  Why add more specific elements like
> Wiki
> and API.  Why make the POM syntax this specific.   Why not make it free
> from, something like:
>
> <resource type="wiki">
>  <url><!--- some Wiki URL --></url>
> </resource>
>
> Which you could compact down in some groovy syntax to something like
> "wiki:<url>"
>
> I see a lot of people using Maven for projects other than open source Java
> (or even projects that involve code).  I'd like to see the next version of
> the POM move toward being something more agnostic.

+1

> On Wed, Jul 27, 2011 at 12:16 AM, Vincent Siveton <vsiveton@apache.org
> >wrote:
>
> > Hi Benson
> >
> > Thanks for your proposal!
> >
> > IMHO the pom5 should include some tags like <wiki/> or
> > <qualityManagement/> and the javadoc <api/>
> > see MPIR-149 MJAVADOC-32
> >
> > Cheers,
> >
> > Vincent
> >
> > 2011/7/24 Benson Margulies <bi...@gmail.com>:
> > > Since I can't edit the Wiki, I created:
> > >

> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1k3E4vx_4cKJ4zzksVM4oROX3Dffsh0Q4VOGVjd3oUto/edit?hl=en_US

working and scaling.
 - Bjarne Stroustrup

http://www.jeffmaury.com
http://riadiscuss.jeffmaury.com
http://www.twitter.com/jeffmaury

Re: POM5 proposal

Posted by Hervé BOUTEMY <he...@free.fr>.
Le mercredi 27 juillet 2011, Tim O'Brien a écrit :
> Vincent that seems like a mistake.  Why add more specific elements like
> Wiki and API.  Why make the POM syntax this specific.   Why not make it
> free from, something like:
>
> <resource type="wiki">
>   <url><!--- some Wiki URL --></url>
> </resource>
>
> Which you could compact down in some groovy syntax to something like
> "wiki:<url>"
>
> I see a lot of people using Maven for projects other than open source Java
> (or even projects that involve code).  I'd like to see the next version of
> the POM move toward being something more agnostic.
great to hear: please help explaining what is needed to better do this, and
who examples
we, as Maven developpers, are naturally not java agnostic at all: being java
agnostic will require some imagination ;)

Regards,

Hervé

Re: POM5 proposal

Posted by Tim O'Brien <to...@discursive.com>.

Re: POM5 proposal

Posted by Arnaud Héritier <ah...@gmail.com>.
Thx for your work Benson
I'll read and comment your document ASAP
About new elements we already discussed to add there was the
project/build/encoding
It may me think that we need to define about the compatibility management
we'll have to setup for plugins
For now we can say that a plugin works only for a minimum version of Maven
but tomorrow we'll may have a constraint about the POM version for example
if it requires a new data supported only by a new pom. I suppose we'll
always try to propose if possible to keep the the compat with v4 for example
by testing to read project/build/encoding first and then the
property project.build.encoding but it will also add a lot of
complexity/redundancy in plugins thus they may have to decide one day to not
support old POMs

Arnaud

Re: POM5 proposal

Posted by Mark Struberg <st...@yahoo.de>.
Hi Benson!

Txs for pushing that, looks really good!.

As for compat:

I read your proposal this way: pom5 projects can only be built with mvn3.1 or mvn4 (or whatever we call it) but while installing/deploying, a pom-4.0 will be created which can be _consumed_ as dependencies even by mvn2 and/or mvn3, right?

As for the repo managers:
*) distributionManagement repos should work with pom5. I think we can assume that Archiva and Nexus will support that. It's really not too much a problem.
*) proxy Repos for mvn2/mvn3 will at least see and proxy the pom-4.0.0. So anyone behind a closed company firewall is still able to build in compat mode. Maybe he is not able to build the latest and greatest pom5 project, but thats not our fault then.

LieGrue,
strub

Re: POM5 proposal

Posted by Vincent Siveton <vs...@apache.org>.