Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com> on 2006/11/24 12:25:11 UTC

[classlib] incremental build is no more?

I can't recall how many days I have to do full rebuild after updating
workspace in the morning, because just "ant" complained about java
compilation errors...
I did not give that much consideration until today, when trivial local
modification in luni class did not compile again. Could someone adept
in classlib build look into this, please?

Just added empty line in SecurityManager.java:
>ant build-java -Dbuild.module=luni
-compile:
    [javac] Since compiler setting isn't classic or modern,ignoring fork setting
.
    [javac] Compiling 1 source file to C:\apache-dev\Harmony\trunk\working_class
lib\build\classes
    [javac] Since compiler setting isn't classic or modern,ignoring fork setting
.
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] 1. ERROR in C:\apache-dev\Harmony\trunk\working_classlib\modules\lun
i\src\main\java\java\lang\SecurityManager.java
    [javac]  (at line 66)
    [javac]     security.checkPermission(RuntimePermission.permissionToCreateSec
urityManager);
    [javac]                              ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [javac] RuntimePermission.permissionToCreateSecurityManager cannot be resolv
ed
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] 2. ERROR in C:\apache-dev\Harmony\trunk\working_classlib\modules\lun
i\src\main\java\java\lang\SecurityManager.java
    [javac]  (at line 107)
    [javac]     checkPermission(RuntimePermission.permissionToModifyThread);
    [javac]                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [javac] RuntimePermission.permissionToModifyThread cannot be resolved
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] 3. ERROR in C:\apache-dev\Harmony\trunk\working_classlib\modules\lun
i\src\main\java\java\lang\SecurityManager.java
    [javac]  (at line 124)
    [javac]     checkPermission(RuntimePermission.permissionToModifyThreadGroup)
;
    [javac]                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [javac] RuntimePermission.permissionToModifyThreadGroup cannot be resolved
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] 4. ERROR in C:\apache-dev\Harmony\trunk\working_classlib\modules\lun
i\src\main\java\java\lang\SecurityManager.java
    [javac]  (at line 174)
    [javac]     checkPermission(RuntimePermission.permissionToCreateClassLoader)
;
    [javac]                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [javac] RuntimePermission.permissionToCreateClassLoader cannot be resolved
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] 5. ERROR in C:\apache-dev\Harmony\trunk\working_classlib\modules\lun
i\src\main\java\java\lang\SecurityManager.java
    [javac]  (at line 207)
    [javac]     checkPermission(RuntimePermission.permissionToExitVM);
    [javac]                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [javac] RuntimePermission.permissionToExitVM cannot be resolved
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] 6. ERROR in C:\apache-dev\Harmony\trunk\working_classlib\modules\lun
i\src\main\java\java\lang\SecurityManager.java
    [javac]  (at line 272)
    [javac]     if (ClassLoader.getStackClassLoader(3) == cls.getClassLoaderImpl
()) {
    [javac]                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    [javac] The method getStackClassLoader(int) is undefined for the type ClassL
oader
    [javac] ----------
    [javac] 7. ERROR in C:\apache-dev\Harmony\trunk\working_classlib\modules\lun
i\src\main\java\java\lang\SecurityManager.java
    [javac]  (at line 272)
    [javac]     if (ClassLoader.getStackClassLoader(3) == cls.getClassLoaderImpl
()) {
    [javac]                                                   ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

    [javac] The method getClassLoaderImpl() is undefined for the type Class<capt
ure-of ?>
    [javac] ----------
    <snip>

--
Alexey

Re: [classlib] incremental build is no more?

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Matt Benson wrote:
> Or talk to the jdt/ecj team:  1) why they set
> includeJavaRuntime when bootclasspath is empty, and 2)
> if they can't or won't change that behavior, could
> they support a custom compilerarg or some other way to
> get around the issue...

For sure, I raised it as Eclipse bug#165976.

Regards,
Tim

--

Tim Ellison (t.p.ellison@gmail.com)
IBM Java technology centre, UK.

Re: [classlib] incremental build is no more?

Posted by Matt Benson <gu...@yahoo.com>.
--- Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com> wrote:

> Nathan Beyer wrote:
> > Check the commit log for 'build-java.xml'. That
> snippet looks
> > familiar; I'd swear it was like that at one point
> and then removed
> > because incremental compilation was failing.
>
> Yea, we don't want to use the old version of the
> files we are compiling.
>  Ideally we want the bootclasspath to be empty --
> but as Matt discovered
> the compiler adapter takes empty bootclasspath to be
> default value (i.e.
> the JRE JARs).
>
> For now I've set it to an arbitrary JAR that we
> compile against.  Please
> check that it fixes the incremental build problem,
> then I'll try and
> figure out a more meaningful value to set.

Or talk to the jdt/ecj team:  1) why they set
includeJavaRuntime when bootclasspath is empty, and 2)
if they can't or won't change that behavior, could
they support a custom compilerarg or some other way to
get around the issue...

-Matt

http://new.mail.yahoo.com

Re: [classlib] incremental build is no more?

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Nathan Beyer <nb...@gmail.com>.
Check the commit log for 'build-java.xml'. That snippet looks
familiar; I'd swear it was like that at one point and then removed
because incremental compilation was failing.

-Nathan

Posted by Alexei Zakharov <al...@gmail.com>.

--
Alexei Zakharov,

Re: [classlib] incremental build is no more?

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Oliver Deakin <ol...@googlemail.com>.
Yup, Ive seen this too - the Java incremental build stage fails
intermittently, but a full rebuild works fine.

fyi the native incremental build works fine for me, so if you're only
making native changes you can
still just use "ant build-native" without need to clean.

--
Oliver Deakin
IBM United Kingdom Limited

Re: [classlib] incremental build is no more?

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.
Evgueni Brevnov wrote:
> It fails with compiler errors. Alexey provided typical output in the
> first message.

D'oh - thanks, looking...

Regards,
Tim

Posted by Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>.
It fails with compiler errors. Alexey provided typical output in the
first message.

Thnaks
Evgueni

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.

Posted by Tim Ellison <t....@gmail.com>.

Posted by Elena Semukhina <el...@gmail.com>.
> [...]

> > > i\src\main\java\java\lang\SecurityManager.java
> > >    [javac]  (at line 272)
> > >    [javac]     if (ClassLoader.getStackClassLoader(3) ==
> cls.getClassLoaderImpl
> > > ()) {
> > >    [javac]                     ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
> > >    [javac] The method getStackClassLoader(int) is undefined for the
> type ClassL
> > > oader
> > >    [javac] ----------
> > >    [javac] 7. ERROR in
> C:\apache-dev\Harmony\trunk\working_classlib\modules\lun
> > > i\src\main\java\java\lang\SecurityManager.java
> > >    [javac]  (at line 272)
> > >    [javac]     if (ClassLoader.getStackClassLoader(3) ==
> cls.getClassLoaderImpl
> > > ()) {
> > >    [javac]
> > >
> > >    [javac] The method getClassLoaderImpl() is undefined for the type

Elena

Re: [classlib] incremental build is no more?

Posted by Evgueni Brevnov <ev...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Alexey Varlamov <al...@gmail.com>.
Good news is that