Posted to dev@subversion.apache.org by "P.Marek" <pm...@cpan.org> on 2003/05/19 11:37:07 UTC

Re: saving time stamps of files - nearly finished, help still needed

Hello everybody!

This is a nearly finished version of my patch.
It should do imports, commits, exports, ... you name it :-)
BUT: I still don't know how to handle the commit case - where I have a
item->wcprop_changes and have to insert/change a property. (please see point
marked as TODO in the patch).

I've had a look at the tests. But as I've never written python yet, I'm not
much help. (And no, I don't want to learn language #25. Sorry.)

Here's a basic log-message, and the formatting should be ok too (thanks for
the vi-script :-).

Issue #1256: Handling timestamps of files

* ./doc/book/book/ch06.xml,
  ./subversion/include/svn_io.h,
  ./subversion/include/svn_props.h,
  ./subversion/libsvn_client/commit.c,
  ./subversion/libsvn_client/commit_util.c,
  ./subversion/libsvn_client/export.c,
  ./subversion/libsvn_subr/io.c,
  ./subversion/libsvn_wc/adm_ops.c,
  ./subversion/libsvn_wc/props.c,
  ./subversion/libsvn_wc/update_editor.c
	This patch allows saving and restoring of the files' modification timestamp.
	The mtime is currently set only on export (see the various messages on the
	mailing list regarding the build process for explanations).

Thank you for your help.
If there are any problems you see please tell me.

Will that possibly be in 0.23 or 0.24? I'd like to have an "acknowledged"
version, which preferable has all my bugs fixed :-)

Re: saving time stamps of files - nearly finished, help still needed

Posted by Norbert Gruener <no...@MPA-Garching.MPG.DE>.
On Wed, Jun 18 2003, P.Marek wrote:

> > Does that mean that SVN did not save the old timestamps somewhere in
> > the background and all the old timestamps are lost ?  This is not a
> > very encouraging answer :-(    This will give me a hard time to convince
> > the CVS users at my site to convert to SVN.
>
> Well, AFAIK (from "svnadmin dump"), only the commit-time is saved, not the
> individual timestamps.
> But that is to change in the future :-)
>
> > I know that this was not your decision and I am not blaming you.  Just
> > on the contrary I want to thank you that you are working on this
> > feature.
>
> I'll try to get commit working, maybe in an (internal) ugly way.
> Do you want to beta-test a patch if it's ready??

Yes, I would be happy to help you by testing your patches.  So as soon
as you have anything to test, just let me know.  At the moment I am
running subversion release 0.23.0.

Cheers,

Norbert
--
Ceterum censeo          | PGP encrypted mail preferred.
Redmond esse delendam.  | PGP Key at www.MPA-Garching.MPG.de/~nog/

Re: saving time stamps of files - nearly finished, help still needed

Posted by "P.Marek" <pm...@cpan.org>.
> I see.  That means, this is nothing which will come in the near
> future.
Well, the support for add/import/export is there. I'll just have to find a way
to ship the mtimes on commit.

Posted by Norbert Gruener <no...@MPA-Garching.MPG.DE>.

Posted by "P.Marek" <pm...@cpan.org>.
> Hi Philipp,
>
> on the "subversion" mailing archive I have read your thread about
> "saving time stamps of files".  I am very interested in that
> {feature|option}.

> Do you have any information when your patch will be included ?
I believe it will have to be completed before - I still experience some
problems.

I posted a patch which did some things but didn't some other; most notably,
the saving of timestamps on commit was missing.

But the solution for that problem gave me some problems.

- A property update on commit, but the local property file may be empty, so
some io_read_-function (can't remember the name right now) died

- "svn status" says that properties have been modified, as I have to fake the
mtime for files which don't have this property.

- I thought that the best way to handle this behaviour would be to only
overwrite existing mtime-properties on commit. So everyone using svn on older
repositories would continue as before, and new imported (or added) files
would be tracked.

- I got a bit lost while trying to find a good interface for seperating the
os-specific properties (executable, acls, access rights, ...). The problem is
that I found too many places where these things are handled - so a function
which could insert all os-specifics into a apr_table couldn't handle a
apr_hash and so on - but different types are used in different places, so
there would have to be a multitude of handling functions.

For the first two problems I experimented some time by changing to
entry-properties (which are remembered in the Entries-file instead of the
/propbase/-directory, but that made things worse, as these properties are
AFAIK not saved in the repository.

So as I'm thinking of something the last patch is still current - it takes the
data on add and import and uses it on export (not update, due to the
dependencies problem).

I'm still thinking about a good solution for the commit problem regarding
m-time. (currently leaving all other os-specific properties aside). But I
could not find one yet.

Any help is appreciated :-)

Re: saving time stamps of files - nearly finished, help still needed

Posted by Norbert Gruener <no...@MPA-Garching.MPG.DE>.
Hi Philipp,