Posted to ivy-user@ant.apache.org by tbee <tb...@tbee.org> on 2009/12/26 11:50:40 UTC

three stage repositories

I have a "commons" library that is included by another project. The library
naturally has dependencies. We are in the process of setting up dependency
management using Maven/Ivy/Gradle.

The procedure of making changes to the commons library, we expect, would be
done in four steps (as the changes mature):
1. make changes to the source code using Eclipse and test it by including
the commons project in another project
2. build a commons.jar and use that jar in the other project to make a
actual build
3. upload a snapshot of commons.jar to the maven repository
4. upload a release of commons.jar to the maven repository

We have a repository up and running and can upload snapshots and releases,
but I'm pondering about how to do 2, 3 and 4.

The commons.jar in step 2 should have a complete pom, because of its
dependancies. So it must be upload to some kind of repository. But it should
not be uploaded to 'the' repository yet, because it still is "in
development". I was thinking about putting it into the local repository
(cache).

So at the moment I'm thinking to include all three repositories in the pom,
and when I upload to
2: I add "-dev-snapshot" to the filename
3: I add "-snapshot" to the filename
4: I do not add anyhing to the filename.

And then by modifiying the dependency information, I can determine what
version is to be included.

Or at there better ways to handle the three steps? For example, is it
possible automatically pick the newest version of the jar from all
repositories?