Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by David Blomstrom <Ge...@geobop.com> on 2003/07/23 14:34:29 UTC

[users@httpd] Installation/Configuration Problems

I'm continuing to configure Apache, and I'im making some progress now that
I solved some problems I was having with Dreamweaver and Windows. But I
just ran into a couple other Apache problems.

First, I just discovered that I can't create a desktop shortcut, because I
can't find Apache's .exe file. It's supposed to be at C:\Program
Files\Apache Group\Apache\Apache.exe (Apache2\Apache.exe on my computer),
but there are only folders and files with .txt extensions in that folder.
If I can access Apache's welcome page by typing http://localhost:8080/ into
a browser, then I mush have an Apache .exe file somewhere, right?

Second, I read that you aren't supposed to close the Apache console window;
rather, you're supposed to open a second window and type in a command to
shut it down. So I opened a second window, and discovered that I can't type
anything in it. My keyboard's working fine; I can type in other programs,
but all I see in the Apache window is a blank black screen with a blinking
cursor, and I can't type anything in it.

Any tips?

RE: [users@httpd] Installation/Configuration Problems

Posted by David Blomstrom <Ge...@geobop.com>.
At 06:53 PM 7/23/2003 -0400, you wrote:

>You are missing the \bin folder one more time:
>c:\progra~1\apache~1\apache2\bin\apache -k install

BINGO! I think it worked. I didn't see a confirmation, so I typed in it in
again, and it said "Apache service is already installed," or something like
that. Thanks for the tip.

RE: [users@httpd] Installation/Configuration Problems

Posted by Jeff Cohen <su...@gej-it.com>.

Apache
> >as a system service by typing in the command prompt
> >"c:\progra~1\apache~1\apache2\apache -k install" and then control it
from:
> >start-settings - control panel->administrative tools->services = you
> >should have there the apache2 service installed and can be controlled by
> >the windows OS."
>
> Hmmmm... Thanks for the tip, but it doesn't seem to work. I clicked Start
>
> Run, then typed in "command" and clicked OK. A small black window with
> "C:\WINDOWS\System32\command.com" at the top opened. I typed
> c:\progra~1\apache~1\apache2\apache -k install, then clicked OK. I got a
> message that it is not recognized as an internal or external operable
program.

Posted by David Blomstrom <Ge...@geobop.com>.

Posted by Jeff Cohen <su...@gej-it.com>.

> I'm continuing to configure Apache, and I'im making some progress now
> that
> I solved some problems I was having with Dreamweaver and Windows. But I
> just ran into a couple other Apache problems.
>
> First, I just discovered that I can't create a desktop shortcut,
> because I
> can't find Apache's .exe file. It's supposed to be at C:\Program
> Files\Apache Group\Apache\Apache.exe (Apache2\Apache.exe on my
> computer),
> but there are only folders and files with .txt extensions in that
> folder.
> If I can access Apache's welcome page by typing http://localhost:8080/
> into
> a browser, then I mush have an Apache .exe file somewhere, right?

Apache.exe is in c:\program files\apache group\apaceh2\bin\apache.exe -
in your case.

> Second, I read that you aren't supposed to close the Apache console
> window;
> rather, you're supposed to open a second window and type in a command
> shut it down. So I opened a second window, and discovered that I can't
> type
> anything in it. My keyboard's working fine; I can type in other
> programs,
> but all I see in the Apache window is a blank black screen with a
> blinking
> cursor, and I can't type anything in it.

Open start->run-> type in "command"-> at the command prompt
type "c:\progra~1\apache~1\apache2\bin\apache -k stop"

That should stop apache from running in console mode.

> Any tips?

Which version of windows do you use???
If you are using NT/2000/XP, it might be better for you to install Apache
as a system service by typing in the command prompt "c:\progra~1\apache~1
\apache2\apache -k install" and then control it from: start->settings-
>control panel->administrative tools->services = you should have there
the apache2 service installed and can be controlled by the windows OS.

All the best,
Jeff Cohen
Support@gej-it.com