Posted to dev@couchdb.apache.org by Jan Lehnardt <ja...@apache.org> on 2013/03/18 22:56:52 UTC

Sending GitHub Pull Request Comment Email Notifications to dev@ lists

Dear Infra,

the CouchDB dev@ list ponders whether to enable notification emails for GitHub Pull Request comments. For now, only the opening and closing of a Pull Request create notification emails and we do from time to time miss an update or two and we thought it’d be very convenient to get the comments that happen inside a Pull Request alongside with the opening and closing emails.

A few friendly people on IRC helped out determining the current setup, so we could figure out what to do to get that set up technically. It appears that on the GitHub side http://developer.github.com/v3/repos/hooks/ is used to ping asfgit-admin/cgi-bin/github.cgi which then in turn sends the email to dev@project.apache.org.

I am not privy to the contents of asfgit-admin, but Paul Davis tells me that the script ignores everything but Pull Request open and close notification emails, which sounds about right. I’d like to volunteer to help expand the script to also send individual comments if a project opts into that.

The other side of this coin is ensuring that the GitHub Repo Hook sends the required notifications in the first place. I can try to figure out the required settings for a repo I have access to and then ask infra to make the respective changes to the gh://apache/couchdb config.

Does the above sound about right for getting what we might want? Is it feasible?

Thanks!
Jan

Re: Sending GitHub Pull Request Comment Email Notifications to dev@ lists

Posted by Daniel Shahaf <d....@daniel.shahaf.name>.
The relevant bit of code is this:

      my $data;
      $data = <<EOT if $action eq 'closed';
    EOT
      $data = <<EOT if $action eq 'opened' or $action eq 'reopened';
    EOT
      return unless $data; # Ignore synchronize events

So yes, sending a patch against that and then asking us to make config
changes to the 'apache' account sounds fine.