Posted to users@myfaces.apache.org by Wolf Benz <eu...@gmail.com> on 2006/07/07 10:41:03 UTC

add resource problems (help needed)

Hi List,

I think I've got add resource problems, but I'm not familiar enough
with it to know how to correct it... some help would be appreciated.

After changing the t:inputHtml (which doens't work in several
browsers) with tinyMCE (a nice tip from Matthias Wessendorf), I have
these problems as I do this in my page:

In the header of my JSP page, I have:

<script language="JavaScript" type="text/javascript" src="../js/
tinymce/jscripts/tiny_mce/tiny_mce.js"/>
        				 tinyMCE.init({
        	 			 theme : "advanced",
        	 			 mode : "textareas",
        	 			 width : "640",
     		         height : "480",
     		         plugins : "fullscreen, insertdatetime,forecolor,
backcolor, separator",
        	 			 theme_advanced_buttons1_add : "fontselect,fontsizeselect",
        	 			 theme_advanced_styles : "Header 1=header1;Header
2=header2;Header 3=header3",

theme_advanced_buttons3_add :"fullscreen,separator,insertdate,inserttime
,separator, forecolor, backcolor,separator",
        	 			 fullscreen_settings : {theme_advanced_path_location :
"top"},
       	  			 plugin_insertdate_dateFormat : "%d-%m-%Y",
                      plugin_insertdate_timeFormat : "%H:%M:%S"
  					});
	</script>

In the body itself, I have

  <h:inputTextarea value="#{regcalbean.currentEvent.metaInput}"
rows="15" cols="50"
             				 style="padding:8px;border-style:solid;font-size:
11pt;width:95%;" />

This only works in Safari on OSX. In Firefox/IE on PC, the rich-
editing buttons won't show up.
My guess is it has to do with the <script src="../js/tinymce/jscripts/
tiny_mce/tiny_mce.js" .../>
I have this in my web.xml: (found this on mthe myfaces site; to
accomodate the add resources - without to much effect though)

  <!-- Extensions Filter -->
     <filter>
         <filter-name>extensionsFilter</filter-name>
         <filter-
class>org.apache.myfaces.webapp.filter.ExtensionsFilter</filter-class>
         		<init-param>
             		<param-name>uploadMaxFileSize</param-name>
             		<param-value>6m</param-value>
         		</init-param>

         		<init-param>
             		<param-name>uploadThresholdSize</param-name>
             		<param-value>10k</param-value>
	        </init-param>

		<init-param>
             <param-name>uploadRepositoryPath</param-name>
             <param-value>/temp</param-value>
         </init-param>
     </filter>

     <filter-mapping>
         <filter-name>extensionsFilter</filter-name>
         <!-- servlet-name must match the name of your
javax.faces.webapp.FacesServlet entry -->
     </filter-mapping>

	<filter-mapping>
     		<filter-name>extensionsFilter</filter-name>
	    <url-pattern>/faces/myFacesExtensionResource/*</url-pattern>
	</filter-mapping>

----------
Any ideas on how I could make this work anyway??
Thanks,
Wolf

Re: add resource problems (help needed)

Posted by Wolf Benz <eu...@gmail.com>.
safari only is a cool option :)
-- You bet. If only my clients had the same taste as you, dev would
be a lot simpler. :-)

Can you try that *example* from the dojo page?
Maybe some js file are "outdated" ...
-- Do you mean this: http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/WYSIWYG_Editor ?
(this is what I tried already - If you want me to tyry smth else, let
me know, I'll be glad to help)

  & If I follow the advice you given here: http://wiki.apache.org/
myfaces/StreamingAddResource,
should I *remove* the adjustments I got from http://
myfaces.apache.org/tomahawk/extensionsFilter.html and only add this
extra context par from streaming resource?
(i.e. are they mutual exclusive or should I leave both the
declaration of the extentionfilter (from "add res") & the different
page tags + ctx par (from streaming res)

Greetz,
Wolf

Re: no working htmlEditor ?

Posted by Wolf Benz <eu...@gmail.com>.
> - Tomahawk t:html: in all browsers, t:htmlInput is passing a "null"
> value...  (which it didn't before, don't know what has changed)

have you looked at the Renderer for this ? Maybe it uses "old" JS
stuff for rendering;
don't know that.

-- Has someone else an idea about this?

I think simplica or ice-faces provide a *commercial* version of what
you are
looking for. Maybe that is a choice for you?

-- Unfortunately that is no option. I can of course always just use a
plain textarea again. It's a kick-down but at least it works ;-)
-Wolf.

Re: no working htmlEditor ?

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
On 7/16/06, Wolf Benz <eu...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's been a few days I've been trying now, helas not with the results
> I had enviseaged.
> To go over them:
>
> - For the sandbox examples on svn.apache.org: this site is down
> currently ("ViewCVS is down. Sorry, viewcvs is down due to flooding
> until further notice.")
> & What's the exact path when it's up again? (is there a myfaces subdir?)

http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/myfaces/tomahawk/trunk/sandbox/

examples: means examples
core: means the components as source

> - Dojo: This didn't work for me. Safari first doesn't show the
> buttons. When I reload the page, I (every time) have to force quit it.

have you used *plain* DOJO? Without JSF?
have you asked the dojo list ?

> - TinyMCE: buttons render in Safari only (not in FF/IE/...)

sorry, no idea

> - Tomahawk t:html: in all browsers, t:htmlInput is passing a "null"
> value...  (which it didn't before, don't know what has changed)

have you looked at the Renderer for this ? Maybe it uses "old" JS
stuff for rendering;
don't know that.

> --> :-(
>
> What keeps amazing me is: so many options for this component, yet
> none of them is robust, or better: just works. Even not the one
> MyFaces ships with. (this amazed me most in fact)

I think simplica or ice-faces provide a *commercial* version of what you are
looking for. Maybe that is a choice for you?

-Matthias

--
Matthias Wessendorf

further stuff:
mail: mwessendorf-at-gmail-dot-com

no working htmlEditor ?

Posted by Wolf Benz <eu...@gmail.com>.
Hi,

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
Hey,

sorry for beeing late

> 1/ Can you try that *example* from the dojo page?
> -- If you mean this: http://wiki.apache.org/myfaces/WYSIWYG_Editor ,
> this is what I had tried already - If you want me to tyry smth else,
> let me know, I'll be glad to help.
> If you measn from somewhere in the examples jar: I haven't found the
> sandbox examples and in the Toma ex's I found, only the defectuous
> t:inputHTML tag is shown.

the sandbox examples must be build from svn ([1])
Check [2] there is a dojo html editor sample with myfaces.

Posted by Wolf Benz <eu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matthias,

Sorry for the crossposting. Below are the questions/replies I still
have in good order.
Could you help clearing the fog with me?

[...]

Thanks again for help Matthias!

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
> As for Dojo, it just didn't work. What showed up is a plain textarea
> without any buttons. The difference is TinyMCE works in Safari, but
> in nothing else. Dojo didn't work anywhere. ( & I've tried with the
> initializer imperative at various places: in the header, just before
> & after the form tag & just before the textarea element itself)

safari only is a cool option :)

there is an example on the dojo page for the editor.
maybe that allows you to *port* yours to that?

>   & any idea what html input might be incorporated into MyFaces in
> the future? Or will Kupu get a serious upgrade?

well, I hope we replace it with a dojo solution.
but that's not in my scope. the community should decide.

Can you try that *example* from the dojo page?
Maybe some js file are "outdated" ...

-Matt

Posted by Wolf Benz <eu...@gmail.com>.
Hi Matthias,

Forst of all, thanks for taking the time to reply.
As for Dojo, it just didn't work. What showed up is a plain textarea
without any buttons. The difference is TinyMCE works in Safari, but
in nothing else. Dojo didn't work anywhere. ( & I've tried with the
initializer imperative at various places: in the header, just before
& after the form tag & just before the textarea element itself)

The page did not give any probs, nor did I get a error msg.
But I've seen there are often probs whenever there's a script with an
import of a external file in the header. (... src="..")

This is why I followed the "add resource" additions from the MyFaces
site.
Should I follow the Add "Streaming" Resource directions instead?
(they are different) When to follow which of these 2?

(btw my eclipse validates xml ns's  & didn't give my any trouble in
sandbox/dojo, nor with tinyMCE)

--
Matthias Wessendorf

futher stuff:

Posted by Matthias Wessendorf <ma...@apache.org>.
it is just more elegant and much more performant

Posted by Wolf Benz <eu...@gmail.com>.

--
Matthias Wessendorf

futher stuff: