Posted to taglibs-dev@jakarta.apache.org by Wouter Huijnink <wo...@func.nl> on 2003/05/26 15:04:40 UTC

HTML Strict and XHTML

I have been subclassing tags in order to get HTML strict output. I wonder whether HTML Strict and XHTML are already being integrated in the taglibs project, and/or whether it would be possible to start contributing with respect to this subject.

I also noticed that subclassing existing tags to achieve HTML Strict can be pretty tedious. For instance, I wanted my SelectTag to write "selected" instead of "selected='true'" at the selected option. Overriding the outputOption method would have sufficed, if only its accessability had been protected instead of private. Now I had to copy the entire Select source, adjust 1 line of code, and include the package-scoped org.apache.taglibs.input.Util class as an inner class to achieve what I wanted.

Is there a clearly defined policy at the taglibs project regarding the accessability of methods? I'd say one should be able to override any method that prints something to the JspWriter.

Regards,

Wouter

Re: HTML_Strict_and_XHTML

Posted by Lavandowska <fl...@yahoo.com>.
--- Wouter__Huijnink <wo...@func.nl> wrote:
> I also noticed that subclassing existing tags to achieve HTML Strict
> can be pretty tedious. For instance, I wanted my SelectTag to write
> "selected" instead of "selected='true'" at the selected option.

Strange, the SelectTag was made XHTML compliant a long time ago:
selected="selected" is the proper syntax.

Instead of subclassing, I suggest you submit patches: all the tags
should generate "valid" HTML, whether that be HTML 4.0 or XHTML ...

Lance