Posted to dev@hc.apache.org by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> on 2013/06/06 14:35:11 UTC

Gradle for HC builds

Folks

How would you feel about migrating (gradually) to Gradle as a build tool
for HC components?

Oleg

Re: Gradle for HC builds

Posted by Jon Moore <jo...@apache.org>.
On Thu, Jun 6, 2013 at 9:43 AM, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:

> Jenkins certainly has a Gradle plugin. I can't say for sure though if it
> has been installed on the ASF CI server(s).
>
> For a certain period of time I could maintain two build systems but
> gradually move all release operations to Gradle.

I'm pretty agnostic here, to be honest. It doesn't seem like anyone is
particularly in love with Maven, but the only way to really understand
something else is to try it. Given that Oleg has offered to maintain two
builds for a trial period, I'm +1 for this effort to make building and
releasing easier. The project's requirements aren't that complex, so it
seems pretty likely we could stand up a build system in almost anything.
Since Oleg is the one offering to do the work, I think it's fine for him to
try Gradle first. :)

My one suggestion is that we should probably have someone *other* than Oleg
do the first release on a new build system, to ensure that we got the right
documentation (but also to increase our bus factor[1]: I don't think I've
ever seen anyone other than Oleg cut a release!).

Jon

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bus_factor

Re: Gradle for HC builds

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: Gradle for HC builds

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 6 June 2013 15:32, James Leigh <ja...@3roundstones.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-06-06 at 16:08 +0200, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
>> Both build frameworks have their pros and cons. There is enough material
>> on the web specially after several high profile projects having moved to
>> Gradle.
>>
>> I am quite fine with Maven itself but some its plugins are just plain
>> horrible. One of which is the site plugin. Now that we have to use
>> SvnPubSub for web site publishing, Maven Site plugin simply causes more
>> trouble and helping with the process. And here comes the main drawback
>> of Maven for me as a HC release manager: one can do anything with Maven
>> but nontrivial operations simply require creation of a custom binary
>> plugin. The trouble with this approach in the context of ASF is that
>> every little modification of deployment logic would require a bloody
>> release vote. Gradle on the contrary provides a very rich scripting
>> environment where almost anything can be done inside the build script.
>> One Site plugin (or one Release plugin for that matter) simply cannot be
>> coerced into covering all possible deployment scenarios without becoming
>> an unmanageable abomination.
>>

> Hi,
>
> I have never looked at Gradle before, but I see the advantages of Gradle
> over Maven, but how does it compare to Ant?
>
> The dependencies for httpcomponents are trivial. The dependencies URL
> could easily be listed in a "dependencies.uri" and downloaded in an ant
> task using the get ant task[1]. What (useful feature[2]) does Gradle
> provide that Ant doesn't?
>
> I'd be happy to help with the build.xml ant files for httpcomponents as
> I use them a number of projects to download dependencies, build jars,
> and package zip files. I am also involved in projects that use ant to
> direct the build tasks, while delegating to mvn for dependencies and to
> produce jars.

Note that Tomcat and JMeter also produce Maven jars but use Ant as the
build system.

However, one area where Maven does offer very useful features is the
website - although it can be awkard to configure and takes ages to
run.
For example in Commons we now have optional JaCoCo and Cobertura
profiles, and because these are reporting plugins, the reports
automagically appear in the menu system. [I guess that's at least
partly why the entire site is rebuilt each time.]

Re: Gradle for HC builds

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.
On Thu, 2013-06-06 at 10:32 -0400, James Leigh wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-06-06 at 16:08 +0200, Oleg Kalnichevski wrote:
> > Both build frameworks have their pros and cons. There is enough material
> > on the web specially after several high profile projects having moved to
> > Gradle.
> >
> > I am quite fine with Maven itself but some its plugins are just plain
> > horrible. One of which is the site plugin. Now that we have to use
> > SvnPubSub for web site publishing, Maven Site plugin simply causes more
> > trouble and helping with the process. And here comes the main drawback
> > of Maven for me as a HC release manager: one can do anything with Maven
> > but nontrivial operations simply require creation of a custom binary
> > plugin. The trouble with this approach in the context of ASF is that
> > every little modification of deployment logic would require a bloody
> > release vote. Gradle on the contrary provides a very rich scripting
> > environment where almost anything can be done inside the build script.
> > One Site plugin (or one Release plugin for that matter) simply cannot be
> > coerced into covering all possible deployment scenarios without becoming
> > an unmanageable abomination.
> >

> Hi,
>
> I have never looked at Gradle before, but I see the advantages of Gradle
> over Maven, but how does it compare to Ant?
>
> The dependencies for httpcomponents are trivial. The dependencies URL
> could easily be listed in a "dependencies.uri" and downloaded in an ant
> task using the get ant task[1]. What (useful feature[2]) does Gradle
> provide that Ant doesn't?
>
> I'd be happy to help with the build.xml ant files for httpcomponents as
> I use them a number of projects to download dependencies, build jars,
> and package zip files. I am also involved in projects that use ant to
> direct the build tasks, while delegating to mvn for dependencies and to
> produce jars.
>
> [1] http://ant.apache.org/manual/Tasks/get.html
> [2] http://www.gradle.org/docs/current/userguide/userguide_single.html#overview
>
> James

James

Looks like Gradle is a more modern version of Ant with a nice Groovy
based DSL instead of XML markup.

We just need to do something about our release process (mainly
distribution assembly and web content generation). I could not care what
it is: Maven, Gradle or Ant as long as it fixes some of the existing
pain areas in our release process and I feel less miserable every time I
need to cut a new HC release. Oh, and description of the bloody site
generation and deployment process does not feel like Tolstoy's "War and
Peace".

Oleg

Re: Gradle for HC builds

Posted by James Leigh <ja...@3roundstones.com>.

Re: Gradle for HC builds

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 6 June 2013 16:03, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-06-06 at 15:57 +0100, sebb wrote:

>> > And assembly. I just did not want to sound too negative about Maven.
>>
>> I find that OK.
>>

> Right. And how about having to fix line delimiters with an And
> script? ;-)

That's an unusual use-case.

>> > What does it take to adopt the same model for parent, notice-plugin and
>> > (to be created) hc-style-check?
>>
>> I think it's enough for us to hold a vote.
>>

> For all three at the same time?

Why not? They all serve a similar purpose.

Re: Gradle for HC builds

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: Gradle for HC builds

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.

Re: Gradle for HC builds

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.

Re: Gradle for HC builds

Posted by sebb <se...@gmail.com>.
On 6 June 2013 15:08, Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org> wrote:
> On Thu, 2013-06-06 at 08:57 -0400, Karl Wright wrote:
>> Can you elaborate as to what you feel are the advantages of gradle?  Why do
>> you want to switch over?
>>
>> Karl
>>

> Both build frameworks have their pros and cons. There is enough material
> on the web specially after several high profile projects having moved to
> Gradle.
>
> I am quite fine with Maven itself but some its plugins are just plain
> horrible. One of which is the site plugin.

+1

And the release plugin.

> Now that we have to use
> SvnPubSub for web site publishing, Maven Site plugin simply causes more
> trouble and helping with the process. And here comes the main drawback
> of Maven for me as a HC release manager: one can do anything with Maven
> but nontrivial operations simply require creation of a custom binary
> plugin.

I agree here.

Re: Gradle for HC builds

Posted by Oleg Kalnichevski <ol...@apache.org>.