Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Nishanth S <ni...@gmail.com> on 2015/01/06 05:31:19 UTC

Running Multiple Solr Instances

Hi folks,

I  am running  multiple solr instances  (Solr 4.10.3 on tomcat 8).There are
3 physical machines and  I have 4 solr instances running  on each machine
on ports  8080,8081,8082 and 8083.The set up is well up to this point.Now I
want to point each of these instance to a different  index directories.The
drives in the machines are mounted as d/1,d/2,d/3 ,d/4 etc.Now if I define
/d/1 as  the solr home all solr index directories  are created in /d/1
where as the other drives remain un used.So how do I configure solr to
 make use of all the drives so that I can  get maximum storage for solr.I
would really appreciate any help in this regard.

Thanks,
Nishanth

Re: Running Multiple Solr Instances

Posted by Shawn Heisey <ap...@elyograg.org>.
On 1/5/2015 9:31 PM, Nishanth S wrote:
> I  am running  multiple solr instances  (Solr 4.10.3 on tomcat 8).There are
> 3 physical machines and  I have 4 solr instances running  on each machine
> on ports  8080,8081,8082 and 8083.The set up is well up to this point.Now I
> want to point each of these instance to a different  index directories.The
> drives in the machines are mounted as d/1,d/2,d/3 ,d/4 etc.Now if I define
> /d/1 as  the solr home all solr index directories  are created in /d/1
> where as the other drives remain un used.So how do I configure solr to
>  make use of all the drives so that I can  get maximum storage for solr.I
> would really appreciate any help in this regard.

You should only run one Solr instance per machine.  One instance can
handle as many indexes as you want to run.  Running multiple instances
will waste a fair amount of system resources, and will also make the
entire setup a lot more complicated than it needs to be.

If you don't plan on setting up RAID (which would probably be a lot
easier to manage), here's an idea:

Set up the solr home somewhere on the root filesystem, then create
symlinks under that which will be the instance directories, pointed to
various directories under your other mount points.  When Solr starts, it
should begin core detection at the solr home and follow those symlinks
into the other locations.  I'm not aware of any problems with using
symlinks in this way.

If you're running SolrCloud, that can be a little more complicated,
because creating a new collection from scratch will create the cores
under the solr home ... but you can move them and symlink them after
they're created, then either reload the collection or restart Solr.
Just be sure that no indexing is happening when you begin the move.

Thanks,
Shawn

Re: Running Multiple Solr Instances

Posted by Nishanth S <ni...@gmail.com>.
Hey Ganesh,

This was not for clustering.I do not think you would need clustering with
solr cloud.With solr cloud when  you create a collection from  scratch  it
creates the data directories under solr home.Now if your drives are mounted
as (/d/1,/d/2  etc) you would want to use all the storage available for
indexes apart from any system resources.So we just created  the collection
and then shut down solr and used symlinks to point to all the mounts.

Thanks,
Nishanth

Posted by Ga...@sungard.com.

Posted by Nishanth S <ni...@gmail.com>.