Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org> on 2003/06/06 16:52:58 UTC

[RT] Generate doctype selection for creator

Hi Lenya developers,

the possible children of a doctype are declared in
the doctypes.xconf file, so wouldn't it be possible
to insert a combobox on the creator screen?

Another possiblity would be to filter the menu
(or add a sub-menu) depending on the doctypes.xconf
file.

These solutions would be a step towards generic menus.

What do you think?

Andreas

Re: [RT] Generate doctype selection for creator

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

<snip />

>> I disagree on the combobox, because each creator (depending on the
>> "new doctype") can have
>> very specific parameters to pass along.
>

> OK, so you think there is no way to make the creator generic?

No I don't think so. I rather think there are certain generic pieces and
some
creators can be covered by them, but I think we need the API to enable
derivations.

Please see
http://demo.wyona.org/lenya/docs/xdocs/create-resource.html

> I have to do more brainstorming on this (just random thoughts ...)
> E.g., maybe we could use an AntTask-based creator:
>
> - a target for every document type with the needed property definitions
> - the task is parameterized with the target (this is already
>   implemented)
> - for every creator type there is Java code that generates the
>   appropriate parameter values from the page envelope, config files etc.
> - this way, the sub-menu generation could be automatized
>
>>> Another possiblity would be to filter the menu
>>> (or add a sub-menu)
>>

>> The sub-menu is the way to go. It was actually always intended like
>> this,
>> but nobody ever wrote a "Menu-JavaScript" with submenus. It is also
>> reflecting common UI experience.
>

> +1
>
> Maybe we could even use CSS for menu generation?
> http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/css/edge/menus/demo.html

That's really nice. We only have to make sure that the CSS is working on
our target browsers and platforms (which we need to define ;-)

Thanks

Michael

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.org>.

Posted by Felix Maeder <fe...@wyona.com>.

Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Hi Lenya developers,
>
> the possible children of a doctype are declared in the doctypes.xconf
> file, so wouldn't it be possible to insert a combobox on the creator
> screen?
>
> Another possiblity would be to filter the menu (or add a sub-menu)
> depending on the doctypes.xconf file.
>
> These solutions would be a step towards generic menus.

+1000 for generic menus :)

I prefer the first solution (if it is not too much of an effort...)
because the menu can get very long if you have a lot of doctypes in a
publication (and you can give more explanation on the create screen).

-Felix

RE: [RT] Generate doctype selection for creator

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

the possible children of a doctype are declared in
the doctypes.xconf file, so wouldn't it be possible
to insert a combobox on the creator screen?

Another possiblity would be to filter the menu
(or add a sub-menu) depending on the doctypes.xconf
file.
<<

im impartial to which one you pick, but +1000 to
(more) generic menus

-gregor