Posted to users@maven.apache.org by Christopher Cudennec <cu...@web.de> on 2006/04/06 11:57:26 UTC

Multi modules/different pom/more than one source dir

Hey everyone,

as far as I know it is not possible to set the name of the pom-file when
using a multi module project. The xml schema states this:

<xs:element name="modules" minOccurs="0">
        <xs:annotation>
          <xs:documentation source="version">4.0.0</xs:documentation>
          <xs:documentation source="description">The modules to build in
addition to the current project</xs:documentation>
        </xs:annotation>
        <xs:complexType>
          <xs:sequence>
            <xs:element name="module" minOccurs="0"
maxOccurs="unbounded" type="xs:string"/>
          </xs:sequence>
        </xs:complexType>
      </xs:element>

So my pom.xml for the project looks something like

<project>
  <modules>
    <module>one</module>
    <module>two</module>
  </modules>
</project>

I guess the default file name (i.e. pom.xml) is assumed. I can build my
projects by commandline using something like "mvn -f myproject.xml" so
why not adding an attribute to set the name of the pom file?

The reason why I need this is that I have to cope with a multi source
folder problem. I already know that this is regarded as being "evil" but
I would like to introduce maven to an existing project without (much)
changing the directory structure... I can solve my problem in each
subproject by creating a new pom.xml and packaging this project before
my "real" project.

Any comments or suggestions?

Thanks,

Christopher

Re: Multi modules/different pom/more than one source dir

Posted by Napoleon Esmundo Ramirez <nr...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Well, you are right that the <module /> requires a directory and that the
multi-module build assumes a pom.xml in every module--but it isn't what the
xsd states (it only describes the elements, types and cardinality).

Anyway, I would recommend that you follow the convention.  It would really
be easier that way since you wouldn't have to configure much. :)

Cheers!
Nap