Posted to dev@camel.apache.org by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com> on 2020/03/02 11:26:17 UTC

Tentative release schedule for Camel 3.x releases in 2020

Hi

Lets put a tentative release schedule for Camel 3.x for this year,
where we make it more obvious which releases are LTS and which are
not.

For example having 2 yearly LTS releases and then non TLS in between
allows us to innovate and move faster, but also offer production safe
stable branches where end users can stay on for a longer time and get
CVE and important/critical bugfixes only. Note that we should shy away
from doing other fixes on these LTS branches as they are meant for
"rock sold and only really important bug fixes". Not small
improvements, and it would be nice to have if X can also do this etc.
Lets put this kind into the non LTS releases first (when possible).

A plan could be something like

Camel 3.1.0 in Feb 2020 (no LTS)
Camel 3.2.0 in April 2020 (no LTS)
Camel 3.3.0 in June 2020 (LTS)
Camel 3.4.0 in Aug 2020 (no LTS)
Camel 3.5.0 in Oct 2020 (LTS)
Camel 3.6.0 in Dec 2020 (no LTS)

And then we do Camel 3.3.x and 3.6.x patch releases from time to time,
and for about 12 months, eg 2 LTS's back, eg 3.3.x is EOL when Camel
3.9.0 LTS is released (about 1 year later).

Any thoughts?

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Re: Tentative release schedule for Camel 3.x releases in 2020

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.
I think this is a good approach and make us free to innovate and add new
stuff.

+1 from my side.

Posted by Omar Al-Safi <om...@oalsafi.com>.
Sounds good. +1

Regards,

Posted by Jean-Baptiste Onofre <jb...@nanthrax.net>.
Hi Claus,

It sounds good to me !

Regards
JB

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.
This is open source project, users may have expectations, but the community
set the roadmap and eventually change it.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Mar 4, 2020 at 1:35 PM Federico Valeri <fe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Guillame, this is exaclty the problem I see, users setting expectations
> on a tentative release schedule.
>
> I agree that is useful to trace a roadmap, but we should put a warning note
> in case we publish the schedule on the website.

Yes a note will be there that the schedule is subject for change, but
it should not be as dramatic as a warning.

--
Claus Ibsen
-----------------

Posted by Federico Valeri <fe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Guillaume Nodet <gn...@apache.org>.

Posted by Andrea Cosentino <an...@gmail.com>.
The reason is just having a time boxed approach. Otherwise it may ends
without having a LTS at all

Posted by Federico Valeri <fe...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Claus Ibsen <cl...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Federico Valeri <fe...@gmail.com>.