Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Prashanth Pushpagiri <pr...@yahoo.com> on 2002/06/27 18:42:42 UTC

Tomcat looses session with IE5

Hello all:

I successfully deployed my application using tomcat
4.0.2 a few weeks ago and tested it on virtually every
browser i could get hold of. It works!

Todaye I was informed that one of my colleagues has
problems with session maintenance. The browser is IE
5.0 and sessions are just not maintained. I check it
myself and this is what i found.

The user can login using a userid and pwd. He is shown
a welcome page as soon as he logged in. Session
variables are good. Now, as soon as he clicks on some
other link, he is asked to login again. I am not sure
what the problem is. I checked the browser settings
and cookies are enabled. Can someone throw some light
on what the problems could be and how to resolve them?

Thanks
Prashanth

RE: Tomcat looses session with IE5

Posted by "Sexton, George" <gs...@mhsoftware.com>.
My best recommendation would be to set up a packet sniffer like ethereal and
watch the request sequence. You should be able to sort it out from that.

Posted by Prashanth Pushpagiri <pr...@yahoo.com>.

Posted by Seth Brahler <sp...@cornell.edu>.
I have a session variable set w/ IE5 and I am not having a problem. It
holds the session nicely.

At 10:25 AM 6/27/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>No, I dont use SSL(not yet!) and the application is
>JSP based...
>
>I'm stumped...any further suggestions would be
>helpful.
>
>Thanks
>Prashanth
>
>--- "Sexton, George" <gs...@mhsoftware.com> wrote:
> > Here is one possible explanation.
> >
> > If you are using SSL, and you do a re-direct, IE can
> > generate an extra
> > request to "/". If this is a servlet that dumps the
> > sessions, then you are
> > out of business.

Seth Brahler

HR Information Systems