Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Chris Webster <cj...@ucar.edu> on 2004/09/01 17:33:32 UTC

migrating to multiple repositories

So we've been using svn for ~6 months.  I entered everything under 1
repository.  Now the rest of the division would like to start using it.
  For reasons of the mail hook scripts we want multiple repositories.

I thought I had seen something in the book in the past about this but
was unable to locate it.

Do I just use dump/load?

--Chris

Re: migrating to multiple repositories

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Chris Webster <cj...@ucar.edu> writes:

> As in 2 projects sharing some library/sub-system of code?  Or the
> Email stuff parses directories at the highest level?

Well, you can basically use regexp matching on the changed paths to
determine who gets emails for each commit.  Go read the
commit-email.pl and mailer.py internal docs.

Re: migrating to multiple repositories

Posted by Chris Webster <cj...@ucar.edu>.
>>> Dump, filter, and load.  But I have to ask about the "reasons of mail
>>>hook scripts."  What reasons are those?
>>
>>We all don't want to have to see all the commit Emails, we'd like
>>different developers for different projects.  Is there a way around
>>this now?
>
> As long as your project live in non-overlapping subtrees of the
> repository,

As in 2 projects sharing some library/sub-system of code?  Or the Email
stuff parses directories at the highest level?

And while I have people's attention, can I just move the whole
repository directory to another computer?

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.
Chris Webster <cj...@ucar.edu> writes:

> > Dump, filter, and load.  But I have to ask about the "reasons of mail
> > hook scripts."  What reasons are those?
>
> We all don't want to have to see all the commit Emails, we'd like
> different developers for different projects.  Is there a way around
> this now?

As long as your project live in non-overlapping subtrees of the
repository, then both mailer.py and commit-email.pl will allow you to
effectively split the repository namespace up and send emails to
different sets of folks based on those divisions.

Re: migrating to multiple repositories

Posted by Max Bowsher <ma...@ukf.net>.
Chris Webster wrote:
>>> So we've been using svn for ~6 months.  I entered everything under 1
>>> repository.  Now the rest of the division would like to start using
>>> it. For reasons of the mail hook scripts we want multiple repositories.
>>>
>>> I thought I had seen something in the book in the past about this but
>>> was unable to locate it.
>>>
>>> Do I just use dump/load?
>>

>> Dump, filter, and load.  But I have to ask about the "reasons of mail
>> hook scripts."  What reasons are those?
>
> We all don't want to have to see all the commit Emails, we'd like
> different developers for different projects.  Is there a way around this
> now?

I believe mailer.py is sufficiently configurable to allow different
destinations based on the affected paths within the repository.

http://svn.collab.net/repos/svn/trunk/tools/hook-scripts/mailer/

Max.

Re: migrating to multiple repositories

Posted by Jon Riddle <li...@jdrnetworking.com>.
I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but why not set a
property on the top-level directory for each project that has the email
address (or location of a list of email addresses) to send emails to for
that project, and when someone commits, compare the just-commited
revision to the last-changed revision for that project and, if
applicable, grab the email address(es) and email to the appropriate
developers?  Does that make sense?

Jon

Posted by Chris Webster <cj...@ucar.edu>.

Posted by "C. Michael Pilato" <cm...@collab.net>.