Posted to dev@commons.apache.org by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com> on 2017/06/15 13:17:26 UTC

[all] Custom build containers in Travis-CI.

Hello all,

We’ve started an experiment in [text] in regards to using travis-ci to build inside containers (specifically ibmjava at this point). It seems that it’s a non-standard practice with regards to travis-ci.

I suppose my question is: is anyone familiar with using travis-ci and specifying custom containers in which to run your build? Give the .travis.yml a look in commons-text (https://github.com/apache/commons-text/blob/master/.travis.yml) and let me know what you think. Clearly we’re trying to use ibmjava to build the project, but it’s definitely running that build on each of the 3 environments that we’re running in and exits with a 0 from the docker run command regardless of if the build fails.

Any thoughts?

Cheers,
-Rob

Re: [all] Custom build containers in Travis-CI.

Posted by Amey Jadiye <am...@gmail.com>.
Hello,

Using docker would be much better and flexible solution (in case we know
how to use it). I would also recommend to  look at how jococo handling
multiple JDK in their project[1]. If it's convincing we might want to scrap
our .travis.yml altogether and go with that.

[1] https://github.com/jacoco/jacoco/blob/master/.travis.yml

Regards,
Amey

Posted by Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>.
> On Jun 16, 2017, at 5:07 AM, Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Am 15.06.2017 um 15:17 schrieb Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> We’ve started an experiment in [text] in regards to using travis-ci to build inside containers (specifically ibmjava at this point). It seems that it’s a non-standard practice with regards to travis-ci.
>>
>> I suppose my question is: is anyone familiar with using travis-ci and specifying custom containers in which to run your build? Give the .travis.yml a look in commons-text (https://github.com/apache/commons-text/blob/master/.travis.yml) and let me know what you think. Clearly we’re trying to use ibmjava to build the project, but it’s definitely running that build on each of the 3 environments that we’re running in and exits with a 0 from the docker run command regardless of if the build fails.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> I don’t think it is possible to implement this in a way that the ibm idk build serves as a build environment the same why like the build in JDKs do.
>
> Are there any plans by the travis team to make it possible to use ibm idk as build environment? Maybe we can create a PR for that. That feels like a much cleaner solution.

I will give a go at digging through the travis implementation and seeing if I can put something together for them for the IBM-jdk.

-Rob

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
> Am 16.06.2017 um 11:07 schrieb Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>:
>
> Hi,
>
>> Am 15.06.2017 um 15:17 schrieb Rob Tompkins <ch...@gmail.com>:
>>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> We’ve started an experiment in [text] in regards to using travis-ci to build inside containers (specifically ibmjava at this point). It seems that it’s a non-standard practice with regards to travis-ci.
>>
>> I suppose my question is: is anyone familiar with using travis-ci and specifying custom containers in which to run your build? Give the .travis.yml a look in commons-text (https://github.com/apache/commons-text/blob/master/.travis.yml) and let me know what you think. Clearly we’re trying to use ibmjava to build the project, but it’s definitely running that build on each of the 3 environments that we’re running in and exits with a 0 from the docker run command regardless of if the build fails.
>>
>> Any thoughts?
>
> I don’t think it is possible to implement this in a way that the ibm idk build serves as a build environment the same why like the build in JDKs do.
>
> Are there any plans by the travis team to make it possible to use ibm idk as build environment? Maybe we can create a PR for that. That feels like a much cleaner solution.

Furthermore it should be possible to integrate the ASF build infrastructure with GitHub. So if we can’t get this into the Travis Build, maybe we can setup an IBM JDK build on builds.apache.org <http://builds.apache.org/> set it up, so that it also reports build results at the pull request.

Regards.
Benedikt

Posted by Benedikt Ritter <br...@apache.org>.
Hi,