Posted to dev@cocoon.apache.org by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org> on 2002/06/07 22:54:01 UTC

[Fwd: progress report on XSLTC]]

Strange. This was addressed to the dev list, but it does not appear in
my local list archive. Anyway, these are great news, kudos for the XSLTC
team for the work they have been doing so far.

Anyone volunteering for testing the new xsltc.jar? I can make it
available somewhere for the brave :-)

Thanks again Tom,

--
Gianugo Rabellino

Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 12:01:18 -0400
From: Tom Amiro <To...@Sun.COM>
To: cocoon <co...@xml.apache.org>, xsltc-team@east.sun.com

Hi,

Making progress. I took the xsltc-enabled war file Gianugo sent me
yesterday, fixed the syntax used for calling the static external
java functions in book2menu.xsl, and was able to reproduce a
problem in XSLTC when clicking in the Doucmentation link on the
splash page.

Santiago came up with a fix for the problem which was due to
XSLTC returning a null local name. With the one line fix, I was
able to get a lot further.

The Documentation link (with fix for null local name) now works.

HTML, XHTML, PDF, XLS, and SVG JPEG all worked

Search link -- didn't work, giving following error because XSLTC doesn't
support nonstatic external Java functions.
  Compiler warning(s):

resource://org/apache/cocoon/components/language/markup/xsp/java/xsp.xsl:
Unable to resolve call to function
'org.apache.cocoon.components.language.markup.xsp.XSLTExtension:new'.

resource://org/apache/cocoon/components/language/markup/xsp/java/xsp.xsl:
Unable to resolve call to function
'org.apache.cocoon.components.language.markup.xsp.XSLTExtension:escape'.

Samples -> Hello World -- blew up but doesn't look like its XSLTC's
problem.

   org.apache.cocoon.ProcessingException: Unable to get transformer
handler for style/xsl/simple-page2html.xsl:
org.apache.avalon.excalibur.xml.xslt.XSLTProcessorException: Exception
in creating Transform Handler
         at
org.apache.cocoon.transformation.TraxTransformer.setup(TraxTransformer.java:324)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.AbstractEventPipeline.setupPipeline(AbstractEventPipeline.java:215)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.CachingEventPipeline.setup(CachingEventPipeline.java:278)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.components.pipeline.CachingEventPipeline.generateKey(CachingEventPipeline.java:141)

Control Flow -> Examples -> Calcultor

javax.xml.transform.TransformerException:
org.apache.xalan.xsltc.TransletException: java.io.IOException: Broken pipe
         at
org.apache.xalan.xsltc.trax.TransformerImpl.transform(TransformerImpl.java:662)
         at
org.apache.xalan.xsltc.trax.TransformerImpl.transform(TransformerImpl.java:212)
         at
org.apache.xalan.xsltc.trax.TransformerHandlerImpl.endDocument(TransformerHandlerImpl.java:207)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.xml.AbstractXMLPipe.endDocument(AbstractXMLPipe.java:91)
         at
org.apache.cocoon.transformation.TraxTransformer.endDocument(TraxTransformer.java:609)

We'll have to look into this broken pipe problem.

Adding support for nonstatic external java functions looks important and
is on our list.

I've attached a version of xsltc.jar with the fix for the null local
name. You
may want to use it to see how far you can get. There may be somethings
you can
change on your side.

Tom

--
  Tom Amiro -- SQA Engineer
  Sun XML Technology Development

RE: progress report on XSLTC]]

Posted by Reinhard Poetz <re...@gmx.net>.
> OIf course I can re-upload it, but how about putting that jar into CVS
> (HEAD, of course)? After all we are alpha...

+1 for putting the jar into CVS
this would increase the visibility and availabiltiy of XSLTC and would help
making it stable.

Regards,
Reinhard

Re: progress report on XSLTC]]

Posted by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
> Ivelin Ivanov wrote:
>

>> Gianugo,
>>
>> I wanted to play with it this weekend, but it seems that the jar is
>> not in your home dir any more. It is not in CVS either.
>

> Whoops. I deleted it since it was more than 10 days since I uploaded it
> (and I didn't want to mess up too much with Apache's CVS disk space).
>
> OIf course I can re-upload it, but how about putting that jar into CVS
> (HEAD, of course)? After all we are alpha...
>
> Ciao,

I say +1 for upload in CVS.

--

-= Ivelin =-

Re: progress report on XSLTC]]

Posted by Nicola Ken Barozzi <ni...@apache.org>.

Gianugo Rabellino wrote:
> Ivelin Ivanov wrote:
>

>> Gianugo,
>>
>> I wanted to play with it this weekend, but it seems that the jar is
>> not in your home dir any more. It is not in CVS either.
>

> Whoops. I deleted it since it was more than 10 days since I uploaded it
> (and I didn't want to mess up too much with Apache's CVS disk space).
>
> OIf course I can re-upload it, but how about putting that jar into CVS
> (HEAD, of course)? After all we are alpha...

What are you waiting for?!?!  ;-)

             - verba volant, scripta manent -

Re: progress report on XSLTC]]

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.

Re: progress report on XSLTC]]

Posted by Ivelin Ivanov <iv...@apache.org>.
Gianugo,

--

-= Ivelin =-

Re: progress report on XSLTC]]

Posted by Stefano Mazzocchi <st...@apache.org>.
Gianugo Rabellino wrote:

> Ivelin Ivanov wrote:
> > Excelent!
> >
> > I want to try it NOW !
> >
> > For all the folks that were benchmarking Saxon, Xalan, XT, etc.
> > This is your chance to test drive the F1 car before it's out on the official
> > race track.
> >

> > Gianugo, can you please provide instructions how to swap Xalan with XSLTC in
> > the config.
>
> Sure thing. First of all the jar: get it at
> http://cvs.apache.org/~gianugo/xsltc.jar (hmmm... what about adding it
> to the CVS since it's starting to work? I'll keep it updated while Tom
> sends me their progress). Then it's as easy as changing the
> transformer-factory parameter in cocoon.xconf to
>
> <parameter name="transformer-factory"
> value="org.apache.xalan.xsltc.trax.TransformerFactoryImpl"/>

There is another way.

If you look into the main sitemap, you'll find a comment in the
'map:transformers' definitions that defines the transformer type "xsltc"
(note the 'c' at the end!). If you uncomment that, you can use XSLTC and
Xalan at the same time in your application.

This is mostly useful when you have nonstatic xalan extensions that
XSLTC is not currently able to call.

Ah, you could have SAXON working at the same time as well.

You might even think of doing stuff like this:

 <map:generate src="..."/>
 <map:transform type="xalan" src="..."/>
 <!--map:transform type="xsltc" src="..."/-->
 <!--map:transform type="saxon" src="..."/-->
 <map:serialize/>

and uncomment the one you like (this might be useful to perform
benchmarks on the exact same system with the exact same overheads).

The method that Gianugo suggests, instead, changes the TrAX factory and
this means that *every* xslt operation performed by Cocoon will default
to the XSLT processor that is defined there.

Hope this helps.

                          able to give birth to a dancing star.

Re: progress report on XSLTC]]

Posted by Gianugo Rabellino <gi...@apache.org>.