Posted to log4j-user@logging.apache.org by Jason Bodnar <ja...@shakabuku.org> on 2003/02/27 22:35:25 UTC

log4j slows down on OSX 10.2.4

The server for our product (http://www.broadq.com) uses log4j for usage
logging and debug logging. We've noticed that our product slows down immensely
on OSX 10.2.4 compared to 10.1.3. We've narrowed the performance problem down
to log4j. But, I don't think it's really a problem with log4j though. I think
Apple broke something in their JVM between 10.1.3 and 10.2.4. I've got a bug
open with Apple and am about to send them some sample code that illustrates
the problem.

Has anybody else experienced performance problems with log4j on OSX 10.2.4?
I'll let the list know what my happens with Apple.

Thank you,

Jason

--
Jason Bodnar
jason@shakabuku.org

Re: log4j slows down on OSX 10.2.4

Posted by Jason Bodnar <ja...@shakabuku.org>.
On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 23:44:05 +0100, Ceki Gülcü wrote
> At 04:38 PM 2/27/2003 -0600, you wrote:
> >On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 23:29:37 +0100, Ceki Gülcü wrote
> > > Jason,
> > >
> > > Are you using the %L, %F, %M, %C conversion specifiers in
> > > PatternLayout? Those are known to have a tremendous impact on
> > > certain platforms.
> >
> >Nope. This is all I'm doing:
> >
> >logger.setLevel(Level.DEBUG);
> >ConsoleAppender conApp = new ConsoleAppender(new TTCCLayout());
> >conApp.setThreshold(Level.DEBUG);
> >conApp.setName(CONSOLE_DEBUG_APPENDER);
> >logger.addAppender(conApp);
> >logger.debug("Turned on console debugging.");
>
> The conApp.setThreshold(Level.DEBUG); call is superfluous because a
> threshold of DEBUG on an appender is not any different than the
> default (no threshold). However, it should not have any measurable
> impact on performace.
>
> Could it be that the ConsoleAppender is very slow on OSX?

If I set the log level to something above debug I still experience the same
slow down. But, it's not for all OSX. Works fine on 10.1.3. Doesn't work on
10.2.4. Makes me thing Apple did something to their JVM.

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
At 04:38 PM 2/27/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>On Thu, 27 Feb 2003 23:29:37 +0100, Ceki Gülcü wrote
> > Jason,
> >
> > Are you using the %L, %F, %M, %C conversion specifiers in
> > PatternLayout? Those are known to have a tremendous impact on
> > certain platforms.
>
>Nope. This is all I'm doing:
>
>logger.setLevel(Level.DEBUG);
>ConsoleAppender conApp = new ConsoleAppender(new TTCCLayout());
>conApp.setThreshold(Level.DEBUG);
>conApp.setName(CONSOLE_DEBUG_APPENDER);
>logger.addAppender(conApp);
>logger.debug("Turned on console debugging.");

The conApp.setThreshold(Level.DEBUG); call is superfluous because a
threshold of DEBUG on an appender is not any different than the default (no
threshold). However, it should not have any measurable impact on performace.

Could it be that the ConsoleAppender is very slow on OSX?

>--
>Jason Bodnar
>jason@shakabuku.org
>http://www.shakabuku.org

Ceki

Re: log4j slows down on OSX 10.2.4

Posted by Jason Bodnar <ja...@shakabuku.org>.

Posted by Ceki Gülcü <ce...@qos.ch>.
Jason,

At 03:35 PM 2/27/2003 -0600, you wrote:
>The server for our product (http://www.broadq.com) uses log4j for usage
>logging and debug logging. We've noticed that our product slows down immensely
>on OSX 10.2.4 compared to 10.1.3. We've narrowed the performance problem down
>to log4j. But, I don't think it's really a problem with log4j though. I think
>Apple broke something in their JVM between 10.1.3 and 10.2.4. I've got a bug
>open with Apple and am about to send them some sample code that illustrates
>the problem.
>
>Has anybody else experienced performance problems with log4j on OSX 10.2.4?
>I'll let the list know what my happens with Apple.
>
>Thank you,
>
>Jason
>
>--
>Jason Bodnar