Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Bill Johnson <pe...@yahoo.com> on 2003/04/11 21:31:02 UTC

struts book for design

I'm wondering if there is a Struts book that teaches
how to design struts applications.  I'm not looking
for one that explains how Struts works, but one that
points out best practices.

Thanks,

Bill

Re: struts book for design

Posted by James Watkin <ja...@anderson.ucla.edu>.
Although these books don't follow the cookbook format, I think you'll find
they do get into best practice and design. I'll give you a sample of some
of the relevant headings from these books regarding "how to interface with
the business model from Struts".

 From "Struts in Action":
Chapter 14, Using Data Services with Struts
* JDBC from a Patterns Perspective
* Uncovering the Business Layer
* Introducing our Data Services
* Exploring the Business Layer
* Struts - Bringing Your Own Model
* Defining Business Objects
* Designing Business Objects
* Design Consequences
* Mixing Business with Actions (not)
* A Simple Example
* Using ProcessBeans and JDBC with Struts
* Introducing ProcessBeans
* ProcessBeans as Transfer Objects
* Populating ProcessBeans
* Executing ProcessBeans
* Accessing Data Services
* Following a Typical Flow
* Coding a Business Activity
* ProcessBeans as a Persistence Layer
* Using Other Persistence Layers
* Using Result Objects
* ResultList Methods
* Using Helper Actions
* Using Lucene
* Using Content Syndication
* Digesting RSS
* Retrieve and Render
* Syndicating RSS
* Using EJBs with Struts
* Session Facade
* Data Transfer Objects
* Implementation Patterns

 From "Programming Jakarta Struts":
Chapter 6, Struts Model Components
* The "M" in MVC
* Types of Models
* The Conceptual Model
* The Design Model
* What is a Business Object
* Requirements for Business Objects
* The Importance of Business Objects
* Persistence
* Persisting Business Objects
* Storing Objects in a Relational Model
* The Impedance Mismatch
* What Does Struts Offer for the Model
* Building the Storefront Model
* Accessing a Relational Database
* Creating the Storefront Business Objects
* Where Does Business Validation Belong
* The Storefront Data Model
* Mapping the Business Objects to the Database
* Object-to-Relational Mapping Frameworks
* The Storefront Persistence Framework
* The Business Delegate and DAO Patterns in Action

- Jim

Re: struts book for design

Posted by Micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
I find that all the books have something the others don't.  For the price
of a book, and given that this is our profession, I think owning them all
is worth the price.  I tend in that direction anyway.  I always have more
books than the companies I work for.  So, this is a somewhat skewed
perspective, perhaps.

In the end, for what it is worth, I think it is important to code as you go
through these books.  They are always incomplete and you don't really get
the whole lesson until you code and find out what is missing.  Sometimes
what is missing is more important.  That is typical.

It is important to remember, I think, that the lists provide a great backup
to these books.  Take iteration for example.  That is so important to a
site and to coding on the web generally, but check out how much time is
actually spent in these books on that.  Then look at using the setup
function.  That is also critical, but almost no time is spent on it.  Check
out radio tags.  Again, there is so much to cover that everything is pretty
superficial.  The books try to make an emphasis and do that well, and they
do.  But, they have different emphases and are not that much in
competition.  That is my perspect for, again, what it is worth.  Bye.

Micael

At 05:48 AM 4/12/03 -0500, you wrote:

>Bill Johnson (petchia@yahoo.com) wrote:
>
> > I don't think these books get into design too much do
> > they?
> >
> > For instance, I'm looking for a book that covers
> > things like:
> >
> > + how to interface with the business model from Struts
> >
> > + how to implement workflow with Struts
> >
> > + how to upload a file with Struts
> >
> > etc etc.
>
>I noticed a new Wrox book that had hit the shelf called Struts
>Applications or something.  It has some kick butt chapters in using
>OJB to work with the Struts workflow.  I haven't had a chance to
>make my way through the whole book yet, but from what I have read it
>definitely delivers key information.
>
>I honestly believe the only way to get the whole package is to take
>a trip each night to your neighborhood Border's, fill up a tall cup
>of coffee and start digging in.  Then, at the end of the week, take
>the book you feel you can't leave the store without and head to the
>register.  It isn't worth buying everybook unless you are already
>quite well off, but what you need probably bridges every book.  Each
>person is going to offer a different view and by hearing all sides,
>you will be able to formulate your own model for approaching the
>application.  Then, you come home and queue up all your questions
>you wrote down on that handy notebook on this mailinglist and see
>what we have to say.
>
>That is my approach at least, your milage my vary.  But this way you
>can get the most miles per gallon.
>
>Dan
>
>--
>Daniel Allen, <da...@mojavelinux.com>
>http://www.mojavelinux.com/

LEGAL NOTICE

you

Re: struts book for design

Posted by Dan Allen <da...@mojavelinux.com>.

Re: What to use for the view.

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <vc...@basebeans.com>.
It's Victor, or Vic.

Best place for this might be on JSF forums:
http://forum.java.sun.com/forum.jsp?forum=427
You can look at early posts on JSF, like page 19 . Note: I did send the
closed door JCP an 18 page e-mail listing issues and did hear back from
them. Also, you can read the JSF spec. document, and decide if that is
something you want.  I read it cover to cover.
So repost this on JSF if you want to comment more, here is my option
please move any feed back to JSF, and repost this:

- JSF assumes that Java developers do GUI. While they could... would you
want that? A UI person does not know the faces tags, but they do know
input and simple struts tags. Yes, I can write a JSP page but it looks
ugly. You can look at the sample JSF web apps, and consider if your
graphic artists can do that. I have in the past let a GUI person redo
all the JSPs, sometimes they expanded HTML tag into html (input). It
looked great when they were done and Looks count for a lot. Like fields
chaining on mouse over, etc.

- JSF is not open source and you would have to license it for $ form
vendors, else there has to be an open source implementation that you
would have to use.

- Looking at it's complex design, I am guessing that it will be very non
scalable. It does a lot of things server side, that we normally do
client side, in JavaScript. So a scalable Rich GUI should IMO execute a
lot of things browser side. Look at Struts menu, or inteligent tree
controlls, etc.

- PHB's that select JSF are likely to switch to more compete vie .NET:
http://www.windowsforms.net/whitepaper/whywindowsforms.aspx and so many
links on data gird and .NET forms and XML-RPC.
I do not want my clients on .NET. (only because it is more expensive in
operation than open source for large sites).

- Just like EJB, they promised a lot of components, there are none.
People jumped in, and jumped out. You could do JSF, but why?

- The scope of JSF is that it should support non HTML and non http. If
anyone has need for that they should use it. Quote from home page
"without limiting developers to a particular mark-up language, protocol,
or client device." ?? OK, so for people that write the GUI for Browsers
and ... WAP? (I do't have clients that need WAP, or that think same GUI
could work for both. I write MVC so I can replace the view easily)

- The open source future is X:Forms from W3.org IMO, look at
novell.com/xforms or http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/09/05/xforms.html or
http://www.FormsPlayer.com, or IBM, or http://xmlform.org.

I do want to see what the author of Poolman has to say on rich GUI (Sean
Neville), so keep an eye on that.

my 2, refundable.

I advised my clients to wait and see JSF; at lest until there are
interesting componets scalable in production, use JSF version 2.0 after
it does more thinkgs client side on a browser.
If JSF slows down applications, that means more servers to buy (which is
not bad in theory for Sun, except... people just get data grid instead)

I am focusing applications development on JSP 2.0 (tomcat 5/ resin 3)
and EL.

.V

RE: What to use for the view.

Re: What to use for the view.

Posted by Vic Cekvenich <vc...@basebeans.com>.

RE: What to use for the view.

Re: What to use for the view.

Posted by Romualdo Rubens de Freitas <ro...@sercomtel.com.br>.
John,

Re: What to use for the view.

Posted by Micael <ca...@harbornet.com>.
Yes or no, depending on other factors.

At 10:26 AM 4/12/03 +0100, you wrote:
>We are just about to build a Struts application - should we use JSF for the
>view?
>
>Regards,
>
>John

LEGAL NOTICE

you

RE: What to use for the view.

Posted by Michael Mattox <mi...@verideon.com>.
> We are just about to build a Struts application - should we use
> JSF for the
> view?

That's a good question, I was just browsing the SUN JSF forum reading
people's comments.  One thing for sure is that the APIs will change for the
beta so you might have to do some stuff although it should be minor and for
the better.  The other issue is the only implementation is the SUN RI and in
the past SUN has been against using it in production and often prohibiting
it with license agreements.  It'll probably take some time before we have an
open source JSF implementation.

Michael

What to use for the view.

RE: struts book for design

Posted by Michael Mattox <mi...@verideon.com>.
> I think these books are what you're looking for:
>
> Struts in Action: Building Web Applications with the Leading Java

I highly recommend this one.

> Programming Jakarta Struts

I found this one to be pretty bad, nothing even close to the Struts in
Action book.  Struts in Action is more complete, especially with Tiles.

Michael

Re: struts book for design

Posted by Bill Johnson <pe...@yahoo.com>.

Re: struts book for design

Posted by James Watkin <ja...@anderson.ucla.edu>.

RE: struts book for design

Posted by James Turner <tu...@blackbear.com>.
Well, I (humbly) might suggest Struts Kick Start, as it has 5 chapters
outlining the design of a sample application from wireframes through
finished product, plus several chapters on best practices for web
services, EJB, and testing.

Truth in advertising: I'm the co-author.

James