Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Praveen_Kumar_J <Pr...@gmail.com> on 2009/03/10 05:30:30 UTC

Organizing POJO's in a heirarchy in Solr

Hi

I just upload simple POJOs into Solr by creating custom types and dynamic
fields in Solr schema as shown below,
<fieldType name="TestType" class="com.abc.lucene.TestType"
sortMissingLast="true" omitNorms="true"/>
 <dynamicField name="*_i_i_s_m"  type="integer"    indexed="true"
stored="true" multiValued="true"/>
 <dynamicField name="*_i_i_s_nm"  type="integer"    indexed="true"
stored="true" multiValued="false"/>
 <dynamicField name="*_i_i_ns_m"  type="integer"    indexed="true"
stored="false" multiValued="true"/>
But I need to organize these POJOs in a hierarchy which can be navigated
easily (something like explorer).
Am not sure whether this feature is supported by Solr. But still planning to
implement it somehow (With the help of DB).

/Root

   |_ POJO Type1
   |     |
   |     |_POJO Type1_1

   |_POJO Type2

         |_POJO Type2_1

I need to organize the POJOs as shown above.
Is there any way to achieve this requirement??

Regards,
Praveen

Re: Organizing POJO's in a heirarchy in Solr

Posted by PKJ <Pr...@gmail.com>.

Thanks for your response Eric.
Actually the scenario is to use the Solr search server as a hierarchical
storage system also. Where we store objects/files in a hierarchy and do
searches on that. something like DB (for files) + Solr.
Here I am evaluating Solr with an knowledge management system.
So thought of storing in a hierarchy.

regards,
Praveen

Posted by Praveen_Kumar_Jayaram <Pr...@gmail.com>.

Thanks for the pointers Erik.

-----

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by PKJ <Pr...@gmail.com>.

Thanks for your response Eric.
I appreciate your idea to have the path as a property/field itself. Am
pretty new to Solr and Lucene.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.

Posted by Schley Andrew Kutz <sa...@gmail.com>.
I like the path idea, however, it does not allow you to perform
tantamount joins on elements in the path. I am working on an idea that
would effectively enable you to perform RDF style queries:

FIND a WHERE a.f1 > 300 AND a.b.f1 > 3 AND a.c.name == 'foo'

f1 is a field on 'a' where 'b' and 'c' are pointers on 'a' to other
documents. Essentially this can be accomplished with facets since you
don't have to retrieve the b and c documents, only whether or not the
set is empty. I am considering doing this as a response writer or a
separate web service, but ideas are welcome.

--
-a

"Ideally, a code library must be immediately usable by naive
developers, easily customized by more sophisticated developers, and
readily extensible by experts." -- L. Stein

Posted by PKJ <Pr...@gmail.com>.

Pretty good idea David.

Posted by Erik Hatcher <er...@ehatchersolutions.com>.
Good thinking David!   :)

Or even a tokenized field... tokenized by path segments, so the
document we're talking about could have a path field with the terms: /
Repository and /Repository/Folder1 - that way the queries can be made
simpler (and perhaps faster).

	Erik

Posted by "Smiley, David W." <ds...@mitre.org>.

Posted by Eric Pugh <ep...@opensourceconnections.com>.