Posted to dev@openoffice.apache.org by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com> on 2016/06/27 15:42:48 UTC

Re: What is the right trademark labeling for AOO

On Mon, Jun 27, 2016 at 2:34 AM, Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> In the AOO-Logo (for example see in the Header of the site
> http://www.openoffice.org/) the trademark labeling is:
>
> Apache OpenOffice™
>
> But on site http://www.apache.org/foundation/marks/list/ i can read this:
>
> "APACHE® is registered in Australia, Norway, Switzerland, Japan, Brazil,
> and is pending in other countries, as our house mark symbolizing our high
> quality community-led, volunteer built software products provided for the
> public good.
>
> [...]
>
> OPENOFFICE®, OPENOFFICE.ORG® and the gull logo are registered or pending
> in Canada, the EU/CTM, Israel, the US, and other countries, for our widely
> popular suite of office productivity applications, including Writer, Calc,
> Impress, Draw, and more."
>

> So my question is:
> what is the correctly labeling of Apache OpenOffice (in Germany and
> Europe)?
>
> Apache OpenOffice™?
>
> Apache® OpenOffice™?
>
> Apache® OpenOffice®?
>
> Or a different notation?
>

> Greetings,
> Jörg

​Good questions. In the US, there is a differentiation between the use of
the "TM" symbol, for common-use terms, and the "R" symbol for registered
trademarks.​

​ For "Apache OpenOffice", the product, you should use:

​Apache OpenOffice™

In this case the complete product name, Apache OpenOffice, is a common use
trademark.

The ASF has applied for a registered trademark of OpenOffice, formerly held
by Sun//Oracle. When that is complete, we will be able to use:

Apache OpenOffice®

MzK

"Time spent with cats is never wasted."
                                -- Sigmund Freud

Re: What is the right trademark labeling for AOO

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
> From: Kay Schenk [mailto:kay.schenk@gmail.com]
> > So Apache has the rights to "Open Office" already applied
> and it is currently only a question of bureaucracy to Apache
> receives this?
> > (With "bureaucracy" i mean only that no one blocks the
> claim of Apache legally.)
>
> Basically, yes. And it's OpenOffice, not Open Office.

You are absolutely right.
I do not know why I have written so wrong ... i fear the weather here is quite hot ;-)

> I only
> point this
> out due to confusion this has caused in the past.

Yes.

> Each country has its own trademark registration process.

In the EU you can register for a trademark at the same time for all EU-countries, see:
https://euipo.europa.eu/ohimportal/en/trade-marks-in-the-european-union

The Apache Software Foundation has done, for example, for "OpenOffice.org" (yes i mean ".org" in this case), see:

https://register.dpma.de/DPMAregister/marke/registerHABM?AKZ=008475824&CURSOR=6
https://register.dpma.de/DPMAregister/marke/registerHABM?AKZ=006552905&CURSOR=5

or see:
https://euipo.europa.eu/eSearch/#basic/1+1+1+1/50+50+50+50/OpenOffice

greetings,
Jörg

Re: What is the right trademark labeling for AOO

Posted by Kay Schenk <ka...@gmail.com>.

On 06/28/2016 05:49 AM, J�rg Schmidt wrote:
> Hello,
>
>> \u200bGood questions. In the US, there is a differentiation
>> between the use of
>> the "TM" symbol, for common-use terms, and the "R" symbol for
>> registered
>> trademarks.\u200b
>
> Yes, clear.
>
>> \u200b For "Apache OpenOffice", the product, you should use:
>>
>> \u200bApache OpenOffice\u2122
>>
>> In this case the complete product name, Apache OpenOffice, is
>> a common use
>> trademark.
>
> OK, i understand. I will use this notation.
>
>> The ASF has applied for a registered trademark of OpenOffice,
>> formerly held
>> by Sun//Oracle. When that is complete, we will be able to use:
>>
>> Apache OpenOffice�
>
> So Apache has the rights to "Open Office" already applied and it is currently only a question of bureaucracy to Apache receives this?
> (With "bureaucracy" i mean only that no one blocks the claim of Apache legally.)

Basically, yes. And it's OpenOffice, not Open Office. I only point this
out due to confusion this has caused in the past.

> The trademark of "OpenOffice" from SUN/Oracle was abandoned in DE, see:
> https://register.dpma.de/DPMAregister/marke/register/300514859/DE
> and for the EU, I see so far no entry.

Each country has its own trademark registration process. We have applied
for trademark registration in this US, and perhaps other countries. I
would need to look at previous discussions on this, of which there are
many! We appreciate the information you provide for Germany. At some
point, we may move for an official trademark registration change there also.

Posted by Jörg Schmidt <jo...@j-m-schmidt.de>.
Hello,

> ​Good questions. In the US, there is a differentiation
> between the use of
> the "TM" symbol, for common-use terms, and the "R" symbol for
> registered
> trademarks.​

Yes, clear.