Posted to modperl@perl.apache.org by Stas Bekman <st...@stason.org> on 2005/03/12 02:15:05 UTC

Re: [OSCon 2005 guidelines] what talks to submit

Stas Bekman wrote:
> Stas Bekman wrote:
>
>> To remind: OSCON will be August 1-5 in Portland, OR.
>> http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2005/
>>
>> It is moving to the Oregon Convention Center, a much (MUCH) larger
>> venue with significantly larger rooms for all tracks.  No more being
>> banished to the third floor slums!
>>
>> As I have mentioned earlier the possibility of having a mod_perl track
>> is back. But it'll only become true, if you submit enough talks. We
>> want to build an interesting and a complete mod_perl track. So please
>> read on.

I guess most of those who have submitted a proposal have now received
'While your proposal was considered closely, we are not able to include it
in the program this year.'

Unfortunately mod_perl not only didn't get its own track, there were
hardly any slots available for any perl talks. Blame Java, Linux, Python
and PHP who have eaten the lion part of available slots. For good and for
bad OSCon is getting less and less about Perl and more and more about
other technologies.

Just to give you some stats, the Perl track had 100+ sessions and about 30
tutorials proposals submitted. The final given slots were for 16 sessions,
4 tutorials. You get the idea. I wish I was told at the beginning that
that would be the case.

Still several mod_perl tutorials and sessions made it in, which I consider
a great priviledge, considering the insane competition. Some talks ended
up in the Apache track, others in the Perl track.

I see that the final program is not yet published at
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/os2005/. Hopefully it'll updated soon.