Posted to server-dev@james.apache.org by Serge Sozonoff <se...@globalbeach.com> on 2002/07/18 17:28:40 UTC

James 2.0a3 problems

Hi All,

I am having trouble running James on my RedHat linux 7.3 with the IBM Java SDK 1.3.1

I keep getting this error when I start things up.

[root@qube3-home bin]# ./run.sh

Phoenix 4.0a4

Application file:/usr/local/james/apps/james.sar uses a deprecated packaging format.
James 2.0a3
        stackpointer=0xbedff1e8
Writing Java core file ....
Unexpected exception has occurred:
ReportedExceptionCode = b, at ExceptionAddress = 40015b4b
        ACCESS_VIOLATION occured outside Interpreter and JITed code
        ExecMode = EXECMODE_BYTECODE
Written Java core to javacore.txt
./run.sh: line 46:  6952 Illegal instruction     $JAVA_HOME/bin/java $JVM_OPTS -jar $PHOENIX_HOME/bin/phoenix-loader.jar $*

I have tried re-installing James and even recompiling it on this machine to no avail.

Any thoughts?

If it helps, I can provide the javacore.txt file

Thanks, Serge

Re: James 2.0a3 problems

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
If you could rerun this using --debug-init option to run and then send the
.sar file, logs and javacore.txt to me I will have a look.

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 03:57, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Looks like something the Avalon Phoenix guys should be loking at.
> I've cross-posted this message to the phoenix list bacuase it looks like
> more a Phoenix issue than a James issue.
>
> Cheers, Steve.
>
> Serge Sozonoff wrote:
> >Hi All,
> >
> >I am having trouble running James on my RedHat linux 7.3 with the IBM Java
> > SDK 1.3.1
> >
> >I keep getting this error when I start things up.
> >
> >[root@qube3-home bin]# ./run.sh
> >
> >Phoenix 4.0a4
> >
> >Application file:/usr/local/james/apps/james.sar uses a deprecated
> > packaging format. James 2.0a3
> >        stackpointer=0xbedff1e8
> >Writing Java core file ....
> >Unexpected exception has occurred:
> >ReportedExceptionCode = b, at ExceptionAddress = 40015b4b
> >        ACCESS_VIOLATION occured outside Interpreter and JITed code
> >        ExecMode = EXECMODE_BYTECODE
> >Written Java core to javacore.txt
> >./run.sh: line 46:  6952 Illegal instruction     $JAVA_HOME/bin/java
> > $JVM_OPTS -jar $PHOENIX_HOME/bin/phoenix-loader.jar $*
> >
> >I have tried re-installing James and even recompiling it on this machine
> > to no avail.
> >
> >Any thoughts?
> >
> >If it helps, I can provide the javacore.txt file
> >
> >Thanks, Serge
> >
> >--

Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: James 2.0a3 problems

Posted by Peter Donald <pe...@apache.org>.
If you could rerun this using --debug-init option to run and then send the
.sar file, logs and javacore.txt to me I will have a look.

On Fri, 19 Jul 2002 03:57, Stephen McConnell wrote:
> Looks like something the Avalon Phoenix guys should be loking at.
> I've cross-posted this message to the phoenix list bacuase it looks like
> more a Phoenix issue than a James issue.
>
> Cheers, Steve.
>
> Serge Sozonoff wrote:
> >Hi All,
> >
> >I am having trouble running James on my RedHat linux 7.3 with the IBM Java
> > SDK 1.3.1
> >
> >I keep getting this error when I start things up.
> >
> >[root@qube3-home bin]# ./run.sh
> >
> >Phoenix 4.0a4
> >
> >Application file:/usr/local/james/apps/james.sar uses a deprecated
> > packaging format. James 2.0a3
> >        stackpointer=0xbedff1e8
> >Writing Java core file ....
> >Unexpected exception has occurred:
> >ReportedExceptionCode = b, at ExceptionAddress = 40015b4b
> >        ACCESS_VIOLATION occured outside Interpreter and JITed code
> >        ExecMode = EXECMODE_BYTECODE
> >Written Java core to javacore.txt
> >./run.sh: line 46:  6952 Illegal instruction     $JAVA_HOME/bin/java
> > $JVM_OPTS -jar $PHOENIX_HOME/bin/phoenix-loader.jar $*
> >
> >I have tried re-installing James and even recompiling it on this machine
> > to no avail.
> >
> >Any thoughts?
> >
> >If it helps, I can provide the javacore.txt file
> >
> >Thanks, Serge
> >
> >--

Cheers,

Peter Donald

Re: James 2.0a3 problems

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@osm.net>.

Serge Sozonoff wrote:

>Hi All,
>
>I am having trouble running James on my RedHat linux 7.3 with the IBM Java SDK 1.3.1
>
>I keep getting this error when I start things up.
>
>[root@qube3-home bin]# ./run.sh
>
>Phoenix 4.0a4
>
>Application file:/usr/local/james/apps/james.sar uses a deprecated packaging format.
>James 2.0a3
>        stackpointer=0xbedff1e8
>Writing Java core file ....
>Unexpected exception has occurred:
>ReportedExceptionCode = b, at ExceptionAddress = 40015b4b
>        ACCESS_VIOLATION occured outside Interpreter and JITed code
>        ExecMode = EXECMODE_BYTECODE
>Written Java core to javacore.txt
>./run.sh: line 46:  6952 Illegal instruction     $JAVA_HOME/bin/java $JVM_OPTS -jar $PHOENIX_HOME/bin/phoenix-loader.jar $*
>
>I have tried re-installing James and even recompiling it on this machine to no avail.
>
>Any thoughts?
>
>If it helps, I can provide the javacore.txt file
>
>Thanks, Serge
>
>--

Stephen J. McConnell

OSM SARL
digital products for a global economy
mailto:mcconnell@osm.net
http://www.osm.net

Re: James 2.0a3 problems

Posted by Stephen McConnell <mc...@osm.net>.

Re: James 2.0a3 problems

Posted by Andrei Ivanov <my...@surfeu.fi>.
Hi Phoenix works well for me with IBM JRE on Linux
James goes with quite old version of Phoenix and supplementary jars. So I
recommend to build latest Phoenix from apache cvs and run james with it.
Almost 100% sure it will work.
Andrei

RE: James 2.0a3 problems

Posted by Danny Angus <da...@apache.org>.
try sun's jdk 1.4.1, afaik James has never been tested on IBM's jvm.
You could also quiz the avalon guys about this.