Posted to general@incubator.apache.org by "Noel J. Bergman" <no...@devtech.com> on 2010/01/19 03:50:32 UTC

Handling of Traffic Server Trademark

Leif Hedstrom wrote:

> Traffic Server would like to resolve the TradeMark issues.
> Who would be able to make this call?

The relevant content is:

> Y! holds several TMs for the name "Traffic Server", most of which
> expires soon. Our legal team has proposed two possible solutions,
> the first being the easiest for us.

>    1. Yahoo! provides ASF with a letter of assurance stating that we
>       own all right, title and interest in and to the TRAFFIC SERVER
>       mark and the four active registrations and that we will not take
>       any action against ASF or any of its licensees during the life of
>       these registrations (and we'd express our intention of letting
>       them lapse and expire in this letter).

>    2. Yahoo! will assign all right, title and interest in and to the
>       TRAFFIC SERVER mark including the four active registrations to
>       ASF [though we'd probably want to make this contingent on getting
>       through the incubator stage].

We can run this through Apache Legal, but my take is that we'd prefer option
#2, which is the same route that I believe was previously used for
SpamAssassin.

One issue, as I understand it, is that the ASF probably should not be
letting marks lapse, and should be maintaining them.  But those aspects
ought to be ASF-wide, and would come from Apache Legal.

Does anyone else have an opinion?  Please do offer it.  :-)

	--- Noel

Re: Handling of Traffic Server Trademark

Posted by jean-frederic clere <jf...@gmail.com>.
On 01/19/2010 03:50 AM, Noel J. Bergman wrote:
> Leif Hedstrom wrote:
>
>> Traffic Server would like to resolve the TradeMark issues.
>> Who would be able to make this call?
>
> The relevant content is:
>
>> Y! holds several TMs for the name "Traffic Server", most of which
>> expires soon. Our legal team has proposed two possible solutions,
>> the first being the easiest for us.
>
>>    1. Yahoo! provides ASF with a letter of assurance stating that we
>>       own all right, title and interest in and to the TRAFFIC SERVER
>>       mark and the four active registrations and that we will not take
>>       any action against ASF or any of its licensees during the life of
>>       these registrations (and we'd express our intention of letting
>>       them lapse and expire in this letter).
>
>>    2. Yahoo! will assign all right, title and interest in and to the
>>       TRAFFIC SERVER mark including the four active registrations to
>>       ASF [though we'd probably want to make this contingent on getting
>>       through the incubator stage].
>
> We can run this through Apache Legal, but my take is that we'd prefer option
> #2, which is the same route that I believe was previously used for
> SpamAssassin.

+1

> One issue, as I understand it, is that the ASF probably should not be
> letting marks lapse, and should be maintaining them.  But those aspects
> ought to be ASF-wide, and would come from Apache Legal.

Sure.

Cheers

Jean-Frederic

RE: Handling of Traffic Server Trademark

Posted by "Gav..." <ga...@16degrees.com.au>.

Can I suggest this question gets asked on trademarks@apache.org list.
I believe all trademark issues should go there, if needed they would
refer to legal as and when.

I haven't followed the history of this thread, so don't know if
http://apache.org/foundation/marks/ has been pointed to yet.

Gav...

Posted by Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>.
On 01/19/2010 01:55 AM, Bernd Fondermann wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 03:50, Noel J. Bergman<no...@devtech.com>  wrote:
>
>> Leif Hedstrom wrote:
>>

>>> Traffic Server would like to resolve the TradeMark issues.
>>> Who would be able to make this call?
>>>

> <snip/>
>
>> Does anyone else have an opinion?  Please do offer it.  :-)
>>
> There's a third option: Rename the project.
> Has this been discussed already?

It hasn't been discussed, but I'm pretty sure it's not something the
PPMC would want to do. The only reason to do this, I think, would be if
we can't resolve the trademark issues any other way.

It sounds like there are a couple of "votes" for having Y! transfer the
TMs to ASF. I'll ask our legal team to start working on that.

Thanks,

-- leif

Re: Handling of Traffic Server Trademark

Posted by Bernd Fondermann <be...@googlemail.com>.
On Tue, Jan 19, 2010 at 03:50, Noel J. Bergman <no...@devtech.com> wrote:
> Leif Hedstrom wrote:
>
>> Traffic Server would like to resolve the TradeMark issues.
>> Who would be able to make this call?

<snip/>
> Does anyone else have an opinion?  Please do offer it.  :-)

There's a third option: Rename the project.
Has this been discussed already?

  Bernd