Posted to dev@turbine.apache.org by Rodrigo Reyes <ro...@instaservi.com> on 2003/07/28 19:45:01 UTC

Detecting memory leaks...

Hi
    Could anyone give me advise on how to detect memory leaks on Turbine?
Any app? Thanx...

Rodrigo

RE: Detecting memory leaks...

Posted by Mitch Christensen <mi...@informatixinc.com>.
The most effective means I've discovered is to simulate load using HTTPUnit
or equivelant, and then attach to the Turbine JVM using Borland's
OptimizeIt.

If you don't have a tool like OptimizeIt available, you can monitor the
Memory usage during load on Windows using Microsoft Management Console, or
ps(1) on UNIX.  If memory consumption grows over time, under load, you may
have a memory leak.

An open source alternative to OptimizeIt is Heap Analysis Tool (HAT), though
I've been unsuccesful getting this to work as yet (mostly because I do have
OptimizeIt).

The lowest common denominator is to add a simple service to Turbine that
spawns a thread that prints current memory statistics to turbine.log at
regular intervals.  The init() method spawns a thread that sleeps(x) then
prints Runtime.totalMemory(), Runtime.freeMemory(), etc.

Then collect these traces and graph the memory usage over time.  This has
*always* worked for me.

-Mitch

RE: Detecting memory leaks...