Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Dennis Muhlestein <de...@zserve.com> on 2002/09/12 16:12:34 UTC

Tomcat 4.1.10 and symbolic links (linux)

I've found many references to this problem on the list and in mail
archives but none had to do with my situation and I don't know how to
fix this.

Because we have used other web containers in the past, our WEB-INF
folder is not located in the root of the webapp.  We have a symbolic
link.  The directory structure looks like this.

ROOT/
ROOT/docs  (jsp images etc)
ROOT/WEB-INF/
ROOT/classes/
ROOT/jars

There are sym links to make this work with tomcat.

ROOT/docs/WEB-INF-> ../WEB-INF
ROOT/WEB-INF/classes-> ../classes
ROOT/WEB-INF/lib-> ../jars

This all worked fine with tomcat 4.0.4 but now with 4.1.10 I can't get
it to recognize the web.xml  I get the following:

ContextConfig[]: Missing application web.xml, using defaults only

If I remove the sym links and copy the data to the correct location,
things start up, the web.xml is found.

Is it just symbolic links in general or is there something I'm missing.
Thanks for any input.

-Dennis

unpackWars performance/advantages/disadvantages?

Posted by Dennis Muhlestein <de...@zserve.com>.
Great, thanks for the response.

I'd like to know if anyone has experience with deploying war files and
then setting unpackWARs to false.

Is there any advantage/disadvantage to doing this?  Why would one want
to?  How does this affect performance?  Any reasons for choosing one
over the other?

Thanks
Dennis

Re: Tomcat 4.1.10 and symbolic links (linux)

Posted by Nome real <we...@cienciapura.com.br>.