Posted to users@subversion.apache.org by Witold Rugowski <ru...@nhw.pl> on 2006/04/04 21:03:05 UTC

File permissions

Hi!
Is there some easy way to store full file permissions, with ownership,
to avoid changes after update/checkout/revert? I did read through
svnbook, but did not find any similar functionality other than
svn:executable, but this not solves all my problems

I wrote wrapper with perl and using own property to store permissions,
but I wonder whether I did bash open door?

--
Witold Rugowski
rugowski _at_ nhw.pl http://nhw.pl/blg/

Re: File permissions

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
You didn't reply to the list, so I'm sending this reply there so
others can benefit from the discussion.

On Apr 5, 2006, at 12:53, Witold Rugowski wrote:

>> http://svn.collab.net/viewvc/svn/branches/meta-data-versioning/
>> Be sure to read its readme.
>
> Thank You for reply. I did look at it, and indeed it is not for
> me ;-) First it need to be patched in svn directly, and this is not
> always possible. It is alpha/beta and I prefer to deal with simple
> and own cooked ;)) alpha perl script rather than with alpha code
> embedded in much bigger project...
>
> I will stay with my script. However if someone find it useful -
> here you go: http://nhw.pl/blg/articles/ssvn/
>
> It is based on UNIX permissions and is not portable (GID and UID is
> stored numerically).

I agreeā€”building from source and keeping the patch up-to-date with
the latest source can be a headache.

And indeed the readme for the meta-data-versioning branch says one of
the objections was that others said it should be implemented as
wrappers, not in Subversion, so your wrappers may be both the better
way and the easier way to go.

Re: File permissions

Posted by Ryan Schmidt <su...@ryandesign.com>.
On Apr 4, 2006, at 23:03, Witold Rugowski wrote:

> Is there some easy way to store full file permissions, with
> ownership, to avoid changes after update/checkout/revert? I did
> read through svnbook, but did not find any similar functionality
> other than svn:executable, but this not solves all my problems
>
> I wrote wrapper with perl and using own property to store
> permissions, but I wonder whether I did bash open door?

There is either some aversion to including this functionality in
Subversion, or some uncertainty as to how best to do it. In any case,
it's not there now.

Someone patched Subversion to provide this feature; it's the "meta-
data-versioning" branch if you want to try it out:

http://svn.collab.net/viewvc/svn/branches/meta-data-versioning/

Be sure to read its readme.

http://svn.collab.net/viewvc/*checkout*/svn/branches/meta-data-
versioning/README.TXT