Posted to dev@stdcxx.apache.org by Farid Zaripov <Fa...@kyiv.vdiweb.com> on 2006/08/30 16:11:34 UTC

Generation of the solution and projects for MSVC/ICC

Hi All.

  I have found another way to generate solution and project files.

  This way is using VisualStudio Automation objects so we do not need to
worry about solution and project files format.

Farid.

Re: Generation of the solution and projects for MSVC/ICC

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
Martin Sebor wrote:

> I agree. I also don't like the IDE hiding the command line. I like
> seeing the exact command line for each source file just as it would
> be issued by make, even if it's the same as for all the other sources.

Note that .dsp exports into .mak format allow you to do just that, if
you would rather build from command line, while at the same time building
within the gui if that's your preference.

They broke exporting .mak files with the introduction of sln/vcproj format
files, but you gain the ability to parallel compile in modern dev studio
versions, it does log the commands invoked, and can be launched from the
command line without the gui.

Re: Generation of the solution and projects for MSVC/ICC

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.
William A. Rowe, Jr. wrote:
> Martin Sebor wrote:
>
>>Could you help me understand what you mean by "being able to unwind
>>build problems with wrong flags, etc?" The ability to debug compiler
>>and linker command line options? If that's it, what makes these
>>automation interfaces unhelpful in this regard? (I'm not very
>>familiar with VisualStudio automation).
>

> What I meant was that to most of us, looking at the build command line
> commands from a makefile, which we can get by exporting the .dsp/.dsw
> flavor to .mak format, is usually quite helpful.  The coolaid comment
> was that MS is fantastic for wrapping up the build environment into
> something that 'just works', but that you can't really inspect as it
> works, at least in my experience.

Aha, I think I understand.

> "Hiding the ugly details from the user" is the modus operandi.
> I'm not a fan of the approach :)

I agree. I also don't like the IDE hiding the command line. I like
seeing the exact command line for each source file just as it would
be issued by make, even if it's the same as for all the other sources.

Martin

Re: Generation of the solution and projects for MSVC/ICC

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.

Posted by "William A. Rowe, Jr." <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.

Posted by Martin Sebor <se...@roguewave.com>.
Farid Zaripov wrote:
> Hi All.
>
>   I have found another way to generate solution and project files.
>
>   This way is using VisualStudio Automation objects so we do not need to
> worry about solution and project files format.

You mean we won't need to worry about generating the raw solution
and project files? That sounds great. Does this work in all the
versions of VisualStudio we currently handle (i.e., starting with
7.0)? Will it also handle the Intel compiler?

Are there any downsides or tradeoffs?

Martin