Posted to users@httpd.apache.org by Michaël Cadilhac <mi...@cadilhac.name> on 2007/09/10 19:43:24 UTC

[users@httpd] Re: mod_dav on a shared hosting.

[gmane is down ; resent via the mailing-list]

Hi!

As this question is not really mod_dav centered, I hope you guys can
help!

michael@cadilhac.name (Michaël Cadilhac) writes:

> Sorry if this question has been asked before, I just can't found the
> information.
>
> My web host said to me, « If you give us a way to switch on DAV for
> every clients just by adding a few lines to our global configuration,
> then we'll add them ».
>
> So, I'm not at all a regular user of Apache, but I told them « You just
> have to add the DavLockDb line, and then for each client file (each
> VirtualHost), add a ` <Location /webdav> DAV On </Location> ' line. »
>
> They insisted on the fact that the change HAS to be on the global file
> only.  So, is there a way to say: « The /webdav directory of each
> VirtualHost has DAV On » ?

Thanks in advance!

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |   Did you Mooh today ?                 |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |                                        |

[users@httpd] Re: mod_dav on a shared hosting.

Posted by Michaël Cadilhac <mi...@cadilhac.name>.
"Joshua Slive" <jo...@slive.ca> writes:

> But in general, mod_dav is not an appropriate tool for mixed
> file-system and web access. It expects to have complete and private
> control of the directories that it is using.

Thank you, I'll just suppose that ls(1) is too much of a hacking tool
for plain users to use it on this server :-)

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |       One user is enough.              |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |    People suck.                        |

Re: [users@httpd] Re: mod_dav on a shared hosting.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.
On 9/12/07, Michaël Cadilhac <mi...@cadilhac.name> wrote:
> michael@cadilhac.name (Michaël Cadilhac) writes:

> >> Sure. Just put that <Location> section in the main server config
> >> (outside any <VirtualHost> section) and it will be inherited by all
> >> vhosts.
> >
> > Aaah, THAT simple!  Thanks for having taken the time to answer such a
> > n00b question:-)
>
> Oh, and while I'm at it, ... My provider offers ssh access to the
> accounts, and everyone can access my files if I put them with the wrong
> rights.  Problem is, those lazy administrators will add the <Location>
> lines, but the only way to make my ~/www/webdav directory writable for
> httpd is to use a o+w right.
>
> (I can't suppose that o+w excludes other regular users, as each user has
> a different group.)
>
> Do you know another way to avoid such an heresy?

You can check the Group directive used in httpd.conf and give write
permissions to that group.

But in general, mod_dav is not an appropriate tool for mixed
file-system and web access. It expects to have complete and private
control of the directories that it is using.

Joshua.

[users@httpd] Re: mod_dav on a shared hosting.

Posted by Michaël Cadilhac <mi...@cadilhac.name>.
michael@cadilhac.name (Michaël Cadilhac) writes:

> "Joshua Slive" <jo...@slive.ca> writes:
>
>> On 9/10/07, Michaël Cadilhac <mi...@cadilhac.name> wrote:
>
>>>  « The /webdav directory of each VirtualHost has DAV On »?
>
>> Sure. Just put that <Location> section in the main server config
>> (outside any <VirtualHost> section) and it will be inherited by all
>> vhosts.
>
> Aaah, THAT simple!  Thanks for having taken the time to answer such a
> n00b question :-)

Oh, and while I'm at it, ... My provider offers ssh access to the
accounts, and everyone can access my files if I put them with the wrong
rights.  Problem is, those lazy administrators will add the <Location>
lines, but the only way to make my ~/www/webdav directory writable for
httpd is to use a o+w right.

(I can't suppose that o+w excludes other regular users, as each user has
a different group.)

Do you know another way to avoid such an heresy?

Thanks !

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |  And please suggest to him that        |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |    he not refer to Microsoft Windows   |

[users@httpd] Re: mod_dav on a shared hosting.

Posted by Michaël Cadilhac <mi...@cadilhac.name>.
"Joshua Slive" <jo...@slive.ca> writes:

> On 9/10/07, Michaël Cadilhac <mi...@cadilhac.name> wrote:

>>  « The /webdav directory of each VirtualHost has DAV On »?

> Sure. Just put that <Location> section in the main server config
> (outside any <VirtualHost> section) and it will be inherited by all
> vhosts.

Aaah, THAT simple!  Thanks for having taken the time to answer such a
n00b question :-)

--
 |   Michaël `Micha' Cadilhac       |  Personne n'est la au mauvais moment   |
 |   http://michael.cadilhac.name   |           et au mauvais endroit        |

Re: [users@httpd] Re: mod_dav on a shared hosting.

Posted by Joshua Slive <jo...@slive.ca>.