Posted to oak-dev@jackrabbit.apache.org by Angela Schreiber <an...@adobe.com> on 2014/08/12 16:54:07 UTC

Cleanup NodeStore and MK implementations (was: Re: AW: Confusions about API's and Flavours in the documentation ...)

hi all

i recently had another look at the oak-core module and was thinking
if it wouldn't be better if we would move the NodeStore implementations
into separate modules.

to begin with i just tried 2 separate modules:

- oak-ns-document:
  > everything below oak.plugins.document

- oak-ns-segment:
  > everything below oak.plugins.segment
  > segment specific parts of oak.plugins.backup

i found the following issues:

- org.apache.jackrabbit.oak.plugins.cache is not part of the exported
packages
- oak.plugins.backup contains both public API and implementations without
separation
- the following test-classes have a hard dependency on one or more ns
implementations:
  > KernelNodeStoreCacheTest
  > ClusterPermissionsTest
  > NodeStoreFixture
  to fix those we could need to be able to run the tests with the
individual nodestore
  modules and move those tests that are just intended to work with a
particular impl.

such a move would not only prevent us from introducing unintended
package dependencies but would also reduce the number of dependencies
present with oak-core.

wdyt?

kind regards
angela

AW: Cleanup NodeStore and MK implementations (was: Re: AW: Confusions about API's and Flavours in the documentation ...)

Posted by KÖLL Claus <C....@TIROL.GV.AT>.
hi angela,

+1 for anything that clears that mess !!

separating the two storage concepts is ok for me and also to move the MK code in a sandbox project ...
on the other hand we should then update the documentation so that the people are not so confused about the wording/architecture ..

greets
claus

Re: AW: Cleanup NodeStore and MK implementations (was: Re: AW: Confusions about API's and Flavours in the documentation ...)

Posted by Chetan Mehrotra <ch...@gmail.com>.
On Mon, Aug 18, 2014 at 1:02 PM, Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org> wrote:
> This will affect the ongoing work in theses areas, which is all merged back
> into the 1.0 branch. We should also consider Marcel and Alex, who will
> probably be most affected by the additional merge effort.

I also think that this refactoring should be delayed (if that is to be
done) for some time till we get more stability in the two NodeStore
implementations.

Chetan Mehrotra

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.

On 18.8.14 8:41 , KÖLL Claus wrote:
> The longer we wait now the harder it will be to create clean and easier to understand documentation

I agree we should do the move, however doubt that right now is a good
point in time. This will affect the ongoing work in theses areas, which

Posted by KÖLL Claus <C....@TIROL.GV.AT>.
Hi @ all

I see it like angela . I think if we want to clear the code and the documentation it's time to do it.

I have also found some System-Properties in the DocumentNodeStore starting with "oak.documentMK...."

Re: Cleanup NodeStore and MK implementations (was: Re: AW: Confusions about API's and Flavours in the documentation ...)

Posted by Angela Schreiber <an...@adobe.com>.
hi michael

maybe that's just the price we have to pay for not designing
the scope of oak-core right from the beginning.

if we don't tear it apart, i fear that problems like the one i
found with oak.plugins.backup will spread throughout oak-core.

kind regards
angela

Posted by Michael Dürig <md...@apache.org>.
Hi,