Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Steffen <in...@apachelounge.com> on 2015/06/11 11:26:58 UTC

Roll 2.2.30 in conjunction with 2.4.14

Not so happy to roll 2.2.30 in conjunction with 2.4.14.

It does not stimulate pp to upgrade to 2.4., it suggest that the httpd-project gives 2.2 (legacy) the same priority as 2.4.

Better first 2.4 and after some time 2.2. I do not agree with the argument to simplify the announcement.

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
On Jun 11, 2015 8:22 AM, "Eric Covener" <co...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 11, 2015 at 9:08 AM William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>
wrote:

>> But withholding a security fix for legacy server users?  Sounds like a
way to earn distrust of the user community, not reassure them that 2.4.14
is the best version available.

> +1

The 2.2 patches are in alignment with the resolved 2.4 security patches
plus relaxed trailing spaces rule. Yann and I have reviewed, still weeks
later 2.2.30 needs one more pair of eyeballs and a third +1 of the 2
patches.

I can T&R in the morning Friday if it has been reviewed, else it will be a
while before I can RM.

Re: Roll 2.2.30 in conjunction with 2.4.14

Posted by Eric Covener <co...@gmail.com>.
wrote:

> But withholding a security fix for legacy server users?  Sounds like a way
> to earn distrust of the user community, not reassure them that 2.4.14 is
> the best version available.

+1

Re: Roll 2.2.30 in conjunction with 2.4.14

Posted by William A Rowe Jr <wr...@rowe-clan.net>.
I believe the opposite, that the announcement 2.4 contains enhancements,
bug fixes, and security fixes, and 2.2 legacy containing security fixes
will set user expectations.  A later 2.2 announce muddies the waters when
users ponder if it is 'current' and sufficient.  We have language in both
files to clarify this, but still...

Another way to put it is that 2.2.30 shouldn't be a headline and receive
its own announcement, but sit as a sidebar of our significant public
message that 2.4 release is out.

But withholding a security fix for legacy server users?  Sounds like a way
to earn distrust of the user community, not reassure them that 2.4.14 is
the best version available.  Whose interest does that serve?

Not ours, it leaves the risk in place between 2.2 and 2.4 instances because
request splitting attacks require agents to interpret request length
indications differently.  Updating every affected server is the responsible
action by the user, and a security release is rarely a smart moment in time
to perform a major upgrade (config changes etc) without proper testing of
those configs and services.