Posted to dev@ant.apache.org by Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> on 2007/03/09 11:00:07 UTC

CVS - to antlib or not?

Hi all,

Since we have an svn antlib, I was thinking should we move the cvs
code out of the core into it's own lib?

I've done the majority of the work (setting up the projects copying
and renaming code etc), but I need to know whether this is acceptable
for sandbox or not?

For BWC we could delegate calls to the normal CVS task to the antlib
version for now and then later remove the stub in the core after a
reasonable amount of time has passed.

My rationale for doing this is to get most of the SCM stuff out of the
core and into separate antlibs.  CVS is just low-hanging fruit so I
thought we could at least give it some thought.

Any objections?
Kev

Re: CVS - to antlib or not?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, Kevin Jackson <fo...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Since we have an svn antlib, I was thinking should we move the cvs
> code out of the core into it's own lib?

I'd support such a move.

cvs was one of the first Ant tasks since the ASF used CVS, but I
wouldn't expect it to be used by larger parts of our user base
anymore.

Unlike the VSS antlib we probably wouldn't have problems finding
enough committers to support it.

OTOH there is no pressing need to move it since it is pretty stable
and doesn't see many bug reports.

> For BWC we could delegate calls to the normal CVS task to the antlib
> version for now and then later remove the stub in the core after a
> reasonable amount of time has passed.

I prefer an approach like the one we've taken with the .NET Antlib.
Keep the original tasks in core but deprecate them, don't delegate to
the Antlib at all.

Stefan

Re: CVS - to antlib or not?

Posted by Stefan Bodewig <bo...@apache.org>.
On Fri, 9 Mar 2007, Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I would perfer to move svn to ant core,

Why?

> or at least bundle the ant-svn antlib with the release of ant so
> that one does not have to do an extra download.

We could easily provide a Sumo tarball download with Ant core and all
released Antlibs.  The svn antlib hasn't seen a release so far, BTW.

Stefan

Re: CVS - to antlib or not?

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.
On 3/9/07, Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> No,
> I do not like this.
>
> We have svn in ant core, and due to bc reasons
opps that should be cvs....

Re: CVS - to antlib or not?

Posted by Peter Reilly <pe...@gmail.com>.
No,