Posted to dev@flex.apache.org by Martin Heidegger <mh...@leichtgewicht.at> on 2012/02/19 12:06:54 UTC

[RT] Compiler Concept was Adobe / Apache / Spoon Flex Tour

First: Your discussion is about a different topic, so please change the
subject if the discussion changes.

On 19/02/2012 19:22, almansour belleh blanco wrote:
> So basically, we are going to choose extensibility over performance?

I think its a little shortsighted to do even this simplification. The
JVM is a interesting platform to
language developers, why else are Scala, Groovy or others built on top
of it. The JVM comes to near
C performance if programmed properly. I have seen C applications slower
than my Flash code because
it was simply set-up wrong. Also: In C its difficult to deal with
threads. In Java its do-able, in Scala it works
out-of-the box (if you do it right). If I had to choose a well
performing approach I'd probably use scale.
Just because multi-core is a real performance boost. Also a "modern"
compiler should better provide
a "compiler-server" like in PHP that compiles on the fly and offers
information about files. All a lot of work in C.
OCaml (as haXe uses) has a good reputation for fast compilers and can be
written multithreaded but
not very easily and not symetric.

It boils down to me to knowledge/experience: Knowing a system makes it
easier to write high-performing systems.

yours
Martin.