Posted to user@zookeeper.apache.org by "Bae, Jae Hyeon" <me...@gmail.com> on 2014/04/09 20:03:13 UTC

Restarting leader zookeeper instance made quorum lost

Hi zookeeper users

While rolling restart zookeeper cluster of 5 instances with 3 as quorum,
restarting the leader instance made quorum lost. Is this expected?
Otherwise, how can I restart the leader instance without interrupting whole
cluster? Or is this fixed in 3.4.6?

Thank you
Best, Jae

Re: Restarting leader zookeeper instance made quorum lost

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.
On Wed, Apr 9, 2014 at 12:56 PM, Bae, Jae Hyeon <me...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Let me clarify. a) is correct. There were normally running 5 instances with
> 3 as quorum. I restarted the leader instance and while re-electing leader,
> zookeeper cluster lost quorum for a minute and a few zookeeper clients lost
> connection. So, this is the form of losing quorum, correct?

Yes.

> Is there any way to avoid losing quorum while rolling restart of zookeeper
> cluster, specifically the leader instance?

No.

You have to always have 3 ZK nodes live in order to maintain continuous
operation.

Rolling restart implies that you wait long enough after restarting each
node so that it has a chance to rejoin the quorum.  If you do that then
restarting the leader will result in a tiny moment when writes will not be
accepted and may require some ZK clients to transparently reconnect to a
different ZK node, but it should be hard to detect any outage.

Posted by "Bae, Jae Hyeon" <me...@gmail.com>.
Hi Ted

Posted by Ted Dunning <te...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Michi Mutsuzaki <mi...@cs.stanford.edu>.
Hi Jae,

No it's not expected. Do you have the server log files?