Posted to dev@httpd.apache.org by Brian Behlendorf <br...@organic.com> on 1995/08/29 19:43:37 UTC

Testing (was Re: Patches for 0.8.8 to 0.8.11 (fwd) {cosmetic})

On Tue, 29 Aug 1995, Paul Richards wrote:
> > Platforms I am currently compiling for and *using* are:
> >
> > NetBSD-current
> > BSDI 1.1
> > SunOS 4.1.3
>
> We should put this info somewhere so we can look it up when we want to, say,
> accost the person who's testing the Next code and hasn't said anything
> for a month :-)

I have put this on the members page as an additional field "OS Expertise"
for those who have indicated such.

I would like to propose, in the interests of more rigorous testing, that
those who have volunteered to be experts for these platforms be responsible
for, at a minimum:

1) grabbing either the most recent build and applying the patches up for
vote to it or getting the experimental build with patches pre-applied

2) compiling the software and running it on a test port to make sure it
does basic startup and document serving

Going further I would like to come up with a test suite that includes
most of the major, and often error-prone, functions of the server.  Each
function should be tested on each platform to make sure something didn't
break on a particular OS because of a patch applied for another OS, etc.
Here's my attempt at suggesting what should be in this test suite:

1) CGI scripts, initiated through both ScriptAlias and .cgi
2) access control, implemented through both access.conf and .htaccess,
   employing both host-based restrictions and password-based restrictions
   and turning on and off various "options" parameters
3) server-side includes, employing #include and #exec functions
4) virtualhosts - at least one (since everyone can use 127.0.0.1)

Any others?  Another part might be a variation of rob's monkey.c script,
where the testers can pummel the server with 20 basic requests/sec for an
hour and see how it holds up, since it looks like some bug reports have
involved the server dying after a little while.

Thoughts?

	Brian