Posted to jetspeed-user@portals.apache.org by Jason Novotny <jd...@lbl.gov> on 2002/05/21 01:17:56 UTC

jetspeed w/o turbine

Hi,

    Like everyone else I'm sold on the idea of using portlets as a way
of atomically separating services from the presentation of services, but
I'd like to be able to use my own model 2 framework. It seems that
Jetspeed is heavily tied to Turbine thru inheritance of Turbine classes
as opposed to composition. However, I heard of interest from JCorporate
makers of Expresso which uses the Struts frameowrk to integrate Jetspeed
portlets. Also I wonder if IBM's websphere uses Jetspeed + Turbine or if
they only use the portlet API with their own framework. In any case, I
would greatly appreciate any technical details as to how difficult it
would be for me to isolate the portlet API provided in Jetspeed from the
other ten ton gorilla code packages that it uses starting with Turbine.
I really want to create my own notion of user profiles, do my own
servlet security including authentication etc.

    Thanks, Jason

RE: jetspeed w/o turbine

Posted by David Sean Taylor <da...@bluesunrise.com>.

1 - write your own profiler by extending the current one
2 - ive started working on decoupling Turbine 2 security. Keep an eye on
the jetspeed-dev list

RE: jetspeed w/o turbine

Posted by "Frank T. Villarreal, Jr." <fv...@directhitdata.com>.
+1