Posted to users@openoffice.apache.org by Caesar N <cx...@shaw.ca> on 2012/10/15 18:03:19 UTC

Glitch

Attached is a copy of what I am experiencing: The black lines have shown
up in one of my files, and I cannot delete it. What's the source of
those line? How can I delete them? (They have not appeared in other
files, before or after.)

Caesar Nawalkowski

Re: Glitch

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Tue, 16 Oct 2012 13:26:14 -0400
TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com> wrote:

> On 10/16/2012 11:37, Caesar N wrote:
> > This did not work. Nothing touches those ugly black lines on that
> > particular file. ALL OTHER files I work on in OO are OK.
> >
> > Caesar
>
> You probably already tried this, but nobody mentioned it, so ...
> A black line between paragraphs could belong to either the above or
> below paragraph (bottom or top border). You should check both, following
> Dan's directions.
>
> HTH,
> /tj/
> >

> > On 16/10/2012 5:16 AM, Dan Lewis wrote:
> >> Try this. Open the document. Click the Non-printing tool. (Control+F10
> >> is the shortcut key combination.) The paragraph symbols appear at the
> >> end of each paragraph. Click a paragraph that contains the bold line.
> >> Open the Styles and Formatting window (use F11 to do this). In the
> >> Paragraph styles list, one of them should be highlighted. Right click
> >> it, and select Modify from the pop up window. Click the Border tab. In
> >> the middle section (Line) change the Style dropdown list to none.
> >> Click OK.
> >>
> >> --Dan

Have a look at this thread in the Forum.  When you type three dashes or three equals, OpenOffice will turn these into horizontal lines; the thread tells why and how to stop it.

http://forum.openoffice.org/en/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=10997

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Glitch

Posted by TJ Frazier <tj...@cfl.rr.com>.

Re: Glitch

Posted by Dale Erwin <da...@casaerwin.org>.
On 10/16/2012 6:46 PM, Julia Ward wrote:
> I'm realizing I can just hit the End button.
>
> Still, it would be nice to make the down key an automatic keyboard shortcut to the end of the line in the document, like with Appleworks.  But I can't find out how so I think I'm just going to use the End key.
Then what happens if you want to move the cursor to the line below the
current line?

--
Dale Erwin
Jr. 28 de Julio 657, Depto. 03

Re: Glitch

Posted by Doug <dm...@optonline.net>.
On 10/16/2012 07:46 PM, Julia Ward wrote:
> I'm realizing I can just hit the End button.
>
> Still, it would be nice to make the down key an automatic keyboard shortcut to the end of the line in the document, like with Appleworks.  But I can't find out how so I think I'm just going to use the End key.
>
> Thanks.
> -
Maybe you can do it in a macro, so the rest of us are not saddled with
this peculiarity.

--doug

Re: Glitch

Posted by Julia Ward <ju...@yahoo.com>.

Re: Glitch

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.
      Could you create a document that has this problem but does not
contain any sensitive information? Send it to my mailing address. I
would like to look at it to see what may be wrong.

--Dan

Re: Glitch

Posted by Caesar N <cx...@shaw.ca>.

Re: Glitch

Posted by Dan Lewis <el...@gmail.com>.

Re: Glitch

Posted by Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>.
On Mon, 15 Oct 2012 22:07:11 -0600
Caesar N <cx...@shaw.ca> wrote:

> Nothing works. Cannot delete those mysterious bold lines. All other work
> I am doing does not show the lines.
>
> Caesar
>
> On 15/10/2012 10:51 AM, Joost Andrae wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > if the lines disappear if you press "Ctrl+Shift+R" at once then it
> > could be a problem with your graphics driver. The key combination of
> > Shift key and Control key together with the R key does a screen
> > refresh within AOO. Otherwise you may have included a horizontal line
> > within a Writer document via menu item /Insert/Horizontal Line/ or
> > something magical else happens...
> >
> > Am 15.10.2012 18:03, schrieb Caesar N:
> >> Attached is a copy of what I am experiencing: The black lines have shown
> >> up in one of my files, and I cannot delete it. What's the source of
> >> those line? How can I delete them? (They have not appeared in other
> >> files, before or after.)
> >
> > Kind regards, Joost

Click in a Paragraph followed by a line and choose /Format /Parapraph.  Press the Borders tab and see if a bottom border is set; if so, unset it.  If other lines persist elsewhere and the above method has removed one line, you may need to remove either direct formatting of borders (if any) in affected paragraphs, or modify affected paragraph styles to remove such border definitions.

--
Rory O'Farrell <of...@iol.ie>

Re: Glitch

Posted by Caesar N <cx...@shaw.ca>.

Re: Glitch

Posted by Joost Andrae <Jo...@gmx.de>.
Hi,

if the lines disappear if you press "Ctrl+Shift+R" at once then it could
be a problem with your graphics driver. The key combination of Shift key
and Control key together with the R key does a screen refresh within
AOO. Otherwise you may have included a horizontal line within a Writer
document via menu item /Insert/Horizontal Line/ or something magical
else happens...

Am 15.10.2012 18:03, schrieb Caesar N:
> Attached is a copy of what I am experiencing: The black lines have shown
> up in one of my files, and I cannot delete it. What's the source of
> those line? How can I delete them? (They have not appeared in other
> files, before or after.)

Kind regards, Joost