Posted to dev@spark.apache.org by Wenchen Fan <cl...@gmail.com> on 2019/12/06 04:57:43 UTC

Re: DataSourceWriter V2 Api questions

I also share the concerns of "writing twice", which hurts performance a
lot. What's worse, the final write may not be scalable, like writing the
staging table to the final table.

If the sink itself doesn't support global transaction, but only local
transaction (e.g. kafla), using staging tables seems the only way to make
the write atomic. But if we accept "eventually consistent", we can use 2PC
to avoid "writing twice". i.e. wait for all the tasks to finish
writing data, then ask them to commit at the same time.

There are 2 open questions we need to answer:
1. How to make sure all tasks are launched at the same time to implement
2PC? barrier execution?
2. To reach "eventually consistent", we must retry the job until successe.
How shall we guarantee the job retry?

Posted by Jungtaek Lim <ka...@gmail.com>.
Yeah they are very tricky and have to be integrated with Spark's checkpoint
mechanism as well - I guess that's why this mail thread had been quiet
after some time.

Along with these questions, there might be also some edge-cases which we
have to deal with 2PC approach: suppose a batch got into commit phase and
some tasks succeeded to commit, and strangely a task becomes unable to
commit (transaction timeout, crashed and lost handle on transaction, etc.).
In this case Spark would be forced to rerun failed batch, falling back to
at-least-once.

2PC via "WAL & transaction per task" might do the trick for answering these
questions and the edge-case, but yes that's writing twice (even required to
write it to durable storage regardless of the kind of sink), though final
write would be still scalable.