Posted to dev@uima.apache.org by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> on 2007/04/23 22:25:24 UTC

[DISCUSS] UIMA talk at ApacheCon?

We can propose 1 (or more!) UIMA talks for ApacheCon 2007 US (November,
in Atlanta).  The deadline for the proposals
and talk abstracts is this coming Saturday (April 28).  See
http://www.us.apachecon.com/ for info on the "theme" and suggested forms
of presentations.  Ignore the April 21 deadline - it's April 28th).

Talks are 1 hour in length (50 minutes, plus time for questions, etc.)

I think it would be good to do a talk about UIMA at ApacheCon because:

    * It would be nice to get more support for the UIMA "mission" from
    the wider Apache community
    * It would be great to get a few Apache developers joining in as
    contributors / eventual committers
    * Maybe there are some issues about UIMA in the Apache community
    that could be addressed

Here are some questions to consider:

    What audience(s) would we be trying to reach with this talk?

    What would be compelling/interesting enough topics to:

        a) get the talk accepted,
        b) get people to attend,
        c) get interesting collaborations started,
        c) create the right kind of positive impressions that might
        attract new contributors?

    What would be a good title and abstract for an hour talk?

Let's kick this around for a couple of days.  All readers of the
uima-dev list are encouraged to voice their opinions and thoughts.

-Marshall

Re: [DISCUSS] UIMA talk at ApacheCon?

Posted by Lev Kozakov <le...@gmail.com>.
On 4/24/07, Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu> wrote:
> On 4/24/07, Lev Kozakov <le...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > We would like to submit the following talk:
> > -------------------------------
> > Title: Towards an industrial modularization in Apache UIMA framework
> > ------------------------------
> > Abstract:  This talk is focused on OSGi adaptation of the Apache UIMA
> > framework, in particular making UIMA components compatible with
> > industrial standards like OSGi and JSR 291. The talk also emphasizes
> > the effectiveness of this approach for integrating UIMA into OSGi
> > enabled software products and frameworks, such as WebSphere and other
> > J2EE containers, Eclipse and Spring framework.
> >
> > What do you think?
> >

> This could be a second proposal, maybe, especially if you could tie it
> into other Apache projects like Felix (I think I got that name right -
> I mean Apache's OSGi framework) and Tomcat.

Sure. We can use Felix as OSGi framework implementation in our talk.

> But I think we need to first give a broader UIMA talk that shows some
> interesting UIMA components and applications, before we get into more
> specific topics such as this.
>
> -Adam

I agree. First, we need a broader UIMA talk, and then we can have
several additional talks.

-- Lev

Re: [DISCUSS] UIMA talk at ApacheCon?

Posted by Lev Kozakov <le...@gmail.com>.
> You should be able to see it (and all proposals) (and *vote* on the ones
> you want to see, at the ApacheCon website.  Log in here:
> http://apachecon.com/html/login.html  and then pick "Rate the session
> proposals"; the title is "Putting UIMA to work: innovative
> applications"   and cast your vote :-)

I also submitted a proposal for case study: "Towards an industrial

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Lev Kozakov <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.

Posted by Lev Kozakov <le...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Adam Lally <al...@alum.rpi.edu>.
On 4/24/07, Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com> wrote:
> Marshall Schor wrote:
> > Title: Putting UIMA to work: integrating with the Web
> > Search Engines, and Data Bases
> > Abstract: Shows examples of UIMA integration with browsers (Firefox
> > extensions),
> > Semantic Search possibilities, and applications using extracted
> > knowledge into databases.

> Title: Enabling Community Creation of Semantic Web
> UIMA plug-ins to browsers and/or web services, and how they could enable
> the creation of the semantic web; kinds of annotators needed for this
> (language semantic analysis; relationship building); web support needed for
> this (shared, augmentable, repositories), visions of what the future may
> hold if successful.

One of these seems like the right idea.  I think we would like to show
some interesting components *and* an end-to-end application (or a
small-scale proof of concept kind of thing anyway).  These topics seem
to cover both of those aspects, assuming we had some interesting
knowledge-extraction components to show.

-Adam

Re: [DISCUSS] UIMA talk at ApacheCon?

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
William Surowiec wrote:
> I must admit I do like the topics Marshall has suggested - and would
> be an attendee for each if that were possible.
>
> A friend asked me to put together a one hour "talk" about UIMA for a
> joint meeting of the NYC Semantic Web and Web Standards user groups.
> While we are still discussing the content, I am advocating the
> following point of view. I do not know if it is appropriate for your
> audience, but I am prepared to share it (the following is an extract
> from my latest posting regarding this perspective):
>
>      I was looking for a way to attract (and address) a technically aware
>     audience but not just programmers or data mining types. The talk
>     will only
>     mention in passing the "standards" aspect of UIMA. It will try to
>     show the
>     "insides" of UIMA. But it will also walk around the "outside" -
>     why does
>     this exist, when is it appropriate, who are likely users, what
>     might be some
>     of the consequences. I feel this aspiration should be, but was not,
>     expressed our in drafts so far.
>
> I am trying to help others see both the tool but also the context in
> which the use of UIMA will be beneficial - e.g. those in charge of
> such an effort, in the development of a community of users and a
> market as Java servlets and jsps did, as a way for new (less
> financially endowed) players to experiment and develop niche
> applications or a competitive advantage.

I would love to hear your talk - can you post pointers to it and /or let
us know when it will be given?

-Marshall (about an hour outside of NYC).

Posted by Marshall Schor <ms...@schor.com>.
Marshall Schor wrote:
> <snip>
>
> Here are some questions to consider:
>
>    What audience(s) would we be trying to reach with this talk?
>
>    What would be compelling/interesting enough topics to:
>
>        a) get the talk accepted,
>        b) get people to attend,
>        c) get interesting collaborations started,
>        c) create the right kind of positive impressions that might
>        attract new contributors?
>
> What would be a good title and abstract for an hour talk?
Here's some possible talks; for most of these, it would be good to get
input from the wider community of users for more, diverse examples.

-------------------------------
Title: Making Hay with UIMA
------------------------------
Abstract:  Shows what people are doing with UIMA, and the kinds of
commercial opportunities that exist around UIMA.  (The possibility of
making $$$ might attract some to the talk)

Title: Putting UIMA to work: integrating with the Web
Search Engines, and Data Bases
Abstract: Shows examples of UIMA integration with browsers (Firefox
extensions),
Semantic Search possibilities, and applications using extracted
knowledge into databases.

-----------------------------
Title: Components for UIMA
-----------------------------
UIMA, by itself, is an empty framework. It's value comes from the
components that plug into it.
This talk describes the range and nature of the parts (both commercial
and free) that plug in, and the kinds of applications being built.
Examples are shown of systems that process in real time news stories
from TV stations, translating, annotating, and indexing the stories for
easy reference; systems that help cancer patients with their
treatments, etc.

Please add your thoughts / comments.

-Marshall