Posted to user@thrift.apache.org by Akhil Das <ak...@sigmoidanalytics.com> on 2015/09/22 15:37:16 UTC

c_glib tutorial example crashes

Hi

I have created a JIRA for this

The issue is that, the tutorial server program throws up the following
error whenever the tutorial client connects to it.

>From server:

[image: Inline image 1]

And this is from the tutorial client:

[image: Inline image 2]

Thanks
Best Regards

RE: c_glib tutorial example crashes

Posted by Winnie Wu <Wi...@software.dell.com>.
HI,
I think there are sth. wrong by mistake,my issue is different from the issue you created (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/THRIFT-3346 )

My issue is as follows:

    I tried to get values from HIVE server 2 using thrift, if the values in HIVE2 database are not null, everything looks fine.
But I found there are some problems if the value is null, e.g.
If the column type is int , we’ll get  0.
If the column type is Boolean, we’ll get true.
If the column type is string, we’ll get “”.

It seems we cannot know what the data really is in HIVE2 DB through thrift  if the value is stored as NULL.
For int column, if we get 0, We cannot distinguish if it is 0 or NULL in HIVE 2 DB,
For Boolean column, , if we get true, we cannot distinguish if it is true or NULL in HIVE 2 DB,
…..

I’ve searched this problem on internet, and I found there’s an issue already raised up for this problem:

I saw Jens Geyer<https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ViewProfile.jspa?name=jensg> added a comment and said:”I don’t see any issue”,
well, I think it is an issue actually, especially for Boolean column type.
Is it possible for you to solve it? Thank you very much.

The issue is that, the tutorial server program throws up the following error whenever the tutorial client connects to it.

From server:

[Inline image 1]

And this is from the tutorial client:

[Inline image 2]