Posted to java-user@lucene.apache.org by Leslie Hughes <Le...@watercorporation.com.au> on 2003/05/22 09:16:10 UTC

Lucene & EJBs

Hi All,

I have a couple of questions regarding using Lucene in an EJB environment.
There seems to be a number of probs wrt the ejb spec and lucene. The spec
says that EJBs shouldn't (amoungst other things)

-access the filesystem
-use thread synchronisation or manage threads.

So I guess that that means that lucene's indexes (FS ones anyway) and that
using synchronisation to serialise access to an Indexwriter are out of the
question. I think we've all probably ignored the former bit of the spec :-)
so no worries there. But it's the synchronisation of index updates with
recreating of readers, and the problem with EJB calls timing out whilst the
index is rebuilt that bothers me the most.

So, any ideas? I thought about an external daemon or maybe a startup class
that coordinates updates and writes with a simple 'flushReader' method on my
search EJB - what do you think?

Bye

Les

Re: Lucene & EJBs

Posted by Guilherme Barile <gu...@prosoma.com.br>.
I guess writing a connector would be the best way to do it, as an Index
can only be acessed by one user at a time.
Anyone wanna do it ?

Re: Lucene & EJBs

Posted by Eric Jain <Er...@isb-sib.ch>.