Posted to announce@apache.org by "Sean R. Owen" <sr...@apache.org> on 2022/03/09 22:13:51 UTC

CVE-2021-38296: Apache Spark Key Negotiation Vulnerability

Severity: moderate

Apache Spark supports end-to-end encryption of RPC connections via "spark.authenticate" and "spark.network.crypto.enabled". In versions 3.1.2 and earlier, it uses a bespoke mutual authentication protocol that allows for full encryption key recovery. After an initial interactive attack, this would allow someone to decrypt plaintext traffic offline. Note that this does not affect security mechanisms controlled by "spark.authenticate.enableSaslEncryption", "spark.io.encryption.enabled", "spark.ssl", "spark.ui.strictTransportSecurity".

Mitigation:

Update to Apache Spark 3.1.3 or later

Credit:

Steve Weis (Databricks)

Re: CVE-2021-38296: Apache Spark Key Negotiation Vulnerability

Posted by Manu Zhang <ow...@gmail.com>.
Thanks for the clarification, Holden.

However, we maintain our own Spark version and cherry pick critical patches
from the community. It’s not clear which patch we should apply here.

Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>于2022年3月10日 周四上午7:04写道:

Posted by Holden Karau <ho...@pigscanfly.ca>.

Posted by Manu Zhang <ow...@gmail.com>.
Hi Sean,