Posted to dev@harmony.apache.org by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com> on 2006/09/19 08:18:21 UTC

[drlvm] gc.LOS hangs on win32

All,
I have noticed endless loop behavior when running gc.LOS.  It appears to go
into some sort of endless loop when I try, " build test".  Does anyone else
see this problem?

 I used MSVC to break into drlvm when it gets stuck.  It shows basically
what's been reported before – a bunch of threads in JITed code.  They keep
making some system call.

Semis/vm/_smoke.tests/reports/gc.LOS_jit.out shows that somehow LOS.java is
in an infinite loop after it prints all 200 dots.  This is rather curious.

Looking at gc/LOS.java, there is a "threads[i].join()" where "i" goes from 0
to 199.  This thread join happens immediately after a "notifyAll()" that is
intended to tell each of the threads to start running.

I moved the trace(".") to immediately after the synchronized statement in
run().  The test now completes successfully.  It might be a bug in the
implementation of Object.wait() and Object.notifyAll() that different HW/SW
combinations are aggrevating???   Below are the mods that I made:

    public void run () {

        //trace(".");

        synchronized (this.getClass()) {

            if (!started)

                try {

                    this.getClass().wait();

                } catch (InterruptedException e) {}

        }

                trace(".");  //wjw

--
Weldon Washburn
Intel Middleware Products Division

Re: [drlvm] gc.LOS hangs on win32

Posted by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com>.
On 9/19/06, Ivan Volosyuk <iv...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 9/19/06, Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Did you run gc.LOS as a part of 'build test' or separatly? I'm going
> to get close to the problem, but I'm stuck with other tests which
> fails for me before this one.

Interesting.  gc.LOS is the first test that fails on my laptop.  I ran
"build test".

Posted by Ivan Volosyuk <iv...@gmail.com>.

Posted by Weldon Washburn <we...@gmail.com>.
On 9/19/06, Geir Magnusson Jr. <ge...@pobox.com> wrote:

> On Sep 19, 2006, at 2:18 AM, Weldon Washburn wrote:
>
> > All,
> > I have noticed endless loop behavior when running gc.LOS.  It
> > appears to go
> > into some sort of endless loop when I try, " build test".  Does
> > anyone else
> > see this problem?
> >
> > I used MSVC to break into drlvm when it gets stuck.  It shows
> > basically
> > what's been reported before – a bunch of threads in JITed code.
> > They keep
> > making some system call.
> >
> > Semis/vm/_smoke.tests/reports/gc.LOS_jit.out shows that somehow
> > LOS.java is
> > in an infinite loop after it prints all 200 dots.  This is rather
> > curious.
> >
> > Looking at gc/LOS.java, there is a "threads[i].join()" where "i"
> > goes from 0
> > to 199.  This thread join happens immediately after a "notifyAll()"
> > that is
> > intended to tell each of the threads to start running.
> >
> > I moved the trace(".") to immediately after the synchronized
> > statement in
> > run().  The test now completes successfully.  It might be a bug in the
> > implementation of Object.wait() and Object.notifyAll() that
> > different HW/SW
> > combinations are aggrevating???   Below are the mods that I made:
> >

> I'd not commit this... we need this to help us find what the problem is.

Exactly.  Sorry for not being clearer.  I think it might be a bug in
Object.wait() that we need to find.

geir

Posted by "Geir Magnusson Jr." <ge...@pobox.com>.