Posted to user@geronimo.apache.org by Dianne Richards <di...@gmail.com> on 2010/05/06 16:55:42 UTC

DayTrader on Tomcat

Hi - Donald Woods told me that he thought changes were being made to
DayTrader in trunk to create a war file that can be run on Tomcat. I
downloaded the files and see some changes in the code. But, when I build it
I don't see any war file. Am I missing something? Or, how close is it to
being done? Any projected date?

Re: DayTrader on Tomcat

Posted by David Jencks <da...@yahoo.com>.
Probably you need to checkout http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/samples/trunk/samples and build at least that with mvn -N, then try again with daytrader.

You may also need to download and build geronimo trunk, I don't know if there are dependencies on trunk nor how up to date any published trunk snapshots might be.

david jencks

Re: DayTrader on Tomcat

Posted by Forrest Xia <fo...@gmail.com>.
On Thu, May 13, 2010 at 10:24 PM, Dianne Richards <di...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I downloaded everything after Forrest posted that the new samples were
> ready and finally got a clean build of DayTrader. But, now I'm having
> problems running it on Tomcat. I noticed that there were 3 war files, so I
> tried several combinations, unsuccessfully. When I run startup with just the
> daytrader-web-jpa-3.0-SNAPSHOT.war, it tells me that it needs
> daytrader-web-jdbc-3.0-SNAPSHOT. So, I added that war file and got no
> startup errors. But, when I try to start daytrader, I get "*The requested
> resource (/daytrader) is not available."* So, I added the
> daytrader-war-3.0-SNAPSHOT.war. I get the following startup error:
>
> SEVERE: Error listenerStart
> May 13, 2010 9:21:05 AM org.apache.catalina.core.StandardContext start
> SEVERE: Context [/daytrader-war-3.0-SNAPSHOT] startup failed due to
> previous err
> ors
>
> So, the first question is, which war files need to be deployed? Second,
> what do I need to do to get past the problems? Or is there a bug here?

Just try web-jdbc one, by default, it uses derby datasource, but tomcat does
not start derby. So you need to manually switch the datasource to another
one. Let me have DB2 as an example,

1. uncomment the db2 datasource in META-INF/context.xml, and comment out
derby accordingly.
2. create a db2 database with the name in the datasource definition
3. rebuild the web-jdbc assembly and deploy it to tomcat via its console,
note that you need to specify the web context root explicitly as /daytrader
4. then try http://localhost:8080/daytrader

Forrest

Re: DayTrader on Tomcat

Posted by Dianne Richards <di...@gmail.com>.

Re: DayTrader on Tomcat

Posted by Dianne Richards <di...@gmail.com>.

Re: DayTrader on Tomcat

Posted by Forrest Xia <fo...@gmail.com>.

Re: DayTrader on Tomcat

Posted by Dianne Richards <di...@gmail.com>.
Thanks David and Forrest. I obviously copied the wrong url from your first
note Forrest, so it was my mistake.

I now have the correct directory structure. But I'm getting the following
error when I build from gsamplestrunk:

[ERROR] FATAL ERROR
[INFO]

Project ID: unknown

Reason: Could not find the model file
'G:\geronimo\gsamplestrunk\samples\javaee6
\restfulorder-javaee6'. for project unknown

The directory exists with several files, but not this one. Do I need to get
it from somewhere else.

Thanks - Dianne

Re: DayTrader on Tomcat

Posted by Forrest Xia <fo...@gmail.com>.