Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by "Fisher, Mitchell L" <Mi...@unisys.com> on 2004/11/10 17:36:41 UTC

How Are Default Contexts Created?

This question is about contexts that are created by default, not the DefaultContext element in service.xml.

Even though I don't have any <Context>s defined in my xml files, they seem to get created automatically, at least for running the Default servlet and the Status servlet.  How are they created?

I was having problems with 5.0.26 on Windows where sometimes the contexts would be created and others not.  So far I can't reproduce the problem in 5.0.28 on Windows, but I can on the proprietary OS we are trying to run JBoss 3.2.6 on.  I am running Tomcat by running JBoss 3.2.6 (was RC1v3 for Tomcat 5.0.26, now 3.2.6 Final for 5.0.28).  I made a diagnostic patch to the 5.0.26 Mapper class, internalMap method, that showed that sometimes the context list in the host is null.

I see the following in the init() method of MapperListener, is this related?

            // Query contexts
            onStr = "*:j2eeType=WebModule,*";
            objectName = new ObjectName(onStr);
            set = mBeanServer.queryMBeans(objectName, null);
            iterator = set.iterator();
            while (iterator.hasNext()) {
                ObjectInstance oi = (ObjectInstance) iterator.next();
                registerContext(oi.getObjectName());
            }

-Mitchell Fisher