Posted to solr-user@lucene.apache.org by Marc Bechler <m....@computer.org> on 2008/01/01 20:57:48 UTC

JNDI and multiple installations in SOLR/Tomcat

Hi,

happy new year from Germany!

Unfortunately, my new year starts with a curiosity I discovered with my
SOLR installation under Tomcat 6.0.14.

I try to run three SOLR webapps. Tomcat starts up and the three SOLR
instances work perfectly well. However, in the logfiles I found a

... "INFO: no /solr/home in JNDI" (followed by a "SEVERE: Error
filterStart")

I did not modify any JNDI settings for tomcat (btw: where do I find the
Tomcat JVM settings?)...

Any ideas?

Regards and thanks for your help in advance,

  marc

Re: JNDI and multiple installations in SOLR/Tomcat

Posted by Chris Hostetter <ho...@fucit.org>.
Marc: sorry that no one seems to have replied to your meail untill now
(holidays and all that).

: I try to run three SOLR webapps. Tomcat starts up and the three SOLR instances
: work perfectly well. However, in the logfiles I found a
:
: ... "INFO: no /solr/home in JNDI" (followed by a "SEVERE: Error filterStart")

...the "INFO: no /solr/home in JNDI" is not an error ... it's just an
informative message that it it did not find a JNDI setting to specify the
where the Solr Home is ... this is not an error -- allthough it is a
little weir since you said you are running 3 solr webapps on one port.
Typically you need to use JNDI so that each webapp knows where to find
it's configs and data ... i'm not sure if you modified anything to make
that work differnetly.

the "SEVERE" message you mentioned is odd ... it's not an error message
that exists in Solr (the string "filterStart" doesn't appear anywhere in
the Solr repository) .. are you sure this isn't an error message coming
from Tomcat?  can you post more details bout this error message? ..
uusally SEVERE errors are logged with a stack trace.

: I did not modify any JNDI settings for tomcat (btw: where do I find the Tomcat
: JVM settings?)...

I'm not sure what you mean by "Tomcat JVM settings" but there is a wiki
page dedicated to recommended tomcat configuration options when running
Solr (which also explains how to set the JNDI options for multiple
webapps)...

http://wiki.apache.org/solr/SolrTomcat

-Hoss