Posted to dev@lenya.apache.org by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com> on 2004/12/20 15:14:25 UTC

Maybe we can use XMLHTTP for improving the incremental loading of the
sitetree of the default publication and also make one step into running
the default publication on a cluster.

Also see

http://www.cmswatch.com/News/Article/?372

resp.

http://www.google.com/webhp?complete=1&hl=en

Thanks

Michi

--
Michael Wechner

Re: loading sitetree of default publication and clustering

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Christian Stocker wrote:

[...]

>> Sounds useful, but IIRC XML HTTP is supported only by a few
>> browsers, isn't it?
>

> IE >= 5.0, Mozilla >= 1.0, Safari >= 1.2, Konqueror in the latest
> versions (AFAIK) and Opera also in the latest betas... That's not only a
> few, IMHO ;)

Good to know. Thanks a lot :)

-- Andreas

Re: loading sitetree of default publication and clustering

Posted by Christian Stocker <ch...@bitflux.ch>.

On 21.12.2004 10:08 Uhr, Andreas Hartmann wrote:
> Michael Wechner wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> re the cluster we definitely need a repository layer which is able to
>> connect to a repository which supports transactions and the sitetree
>> needs to reside in there.
>>
>> Also the sitetree shouldn't be loaded anymore as a whole into memory.
>

> Wouldn't that be a concern of the repository implementation?
>
>> Re the sitetree navigation within the "Site/Info" area which should use
>> XML HTTP or something similar to load it incrementally and not as a
>> whole, otherwise we will have performance problems resp. memory
>> problems on the client side as well.
>

> Sounds useful, but IIRC XML HTTP is supported only by a few
> browsers, isn't it?

IE >= 5.0, Mozilla >= 1.0, Safari >= 1.2, Konqueror in the latest
versions (AFAIK) and Opera also in the latest betas... That's not only a
few, IMHO ;)

chregu

Re: loading sitetree of default publication and clustering

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Antonio Gallardo wrote:

>Hi Michi:
>
>Warning: I am just thinking loudly :-D

sure :-)

>I understand the repository layer is a must. I am thinking in some
>implementations of it.

I would prefer the filesystem as default, which should be possible with
Jackrabbit

>Is a good idea to use a database for this task?

you mean for the sitetree?

> That way we can use the
>SQL power to retrieve the data. A clear candidate as DB Engine could be
>HSQLDB. It is shipped with Cocoon. Or Derby. ;-)

agreed

>For compatibility, we can write an Ant task to migrate the sitetree of
>current applications to the database.

I guess this can be done quickly as soon as we will have the actual
implementation ;-)

All the best

Michi

Posted by Antonio Gallardo <ag...@agssa.net>.
Hi Michi:

Warning: I am just thinking loudly :-D

I understand the repository layer is a must. I am thinking in some
implementations of it.

Is a good idea to use a database for this task? That way we can use the

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:
> Andreas Hartmann wrote:
>
>> To provide a starting point, I added the outline of the
>> TopicMapSiteManager.
>

> within the trunk?

Yes, org.apache.lenya.cms.site.topicmap.TopicMapSiteManager

-- Andreas

Re: loading sitetree of default publication and clustering

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Andreas Hartmann wrote:

> To provide a starting point, I added the outline of the
> TopicMapSiteManager.

within the trunk?

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

[...]

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

[...]

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.
On Wed, 22 Dec 2004, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:

> Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
>
> > Yes.  Its reuse at a design/architecture level.  It should save us
> > time in development, documentation (since the API is already
> > published), and reduce the learning curve for new users since its
> > hopefully a known API.
>
> would you be willing to take this on? another API to look at for this
> might be jsr 170, and how it deals with nodes. may make more sense to
> use than topic maps.

Sure.  I'll try to summarize the difference between the two.

--
JP

Re: loading sitetree of default publication and clustering

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.

COO, Wyona       Content Management Solutions    http://wyona.com
Apache Lenya                              http://lenya.apache.org

Re: loading sitetree of default publication and clustering

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.

Posted by Andreas Hartmann <an...@apache.org>.
Jean Pierre LeJacq wrote:
> On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Gregor J. Rothfuss wrote:
>

>>i see three areas that can be tackled independently:
>>
>>* integrating the repository layer (and make the sitetree object talk to
>>that)
>>* adding topic maps as a storage backend for the sitetree object
>>* refactoring the sitetree js to use incremental updates
>

> I'd go a little further and say that the sitetree object should
> provide the topic map API.

I think that will lead too far (can you say so in English? :) ).

We can't support the details of all possible site management
concepts in the core API.

In Lenya 1.4, there is a generic site management component which
is implemented by a TreeSiteManager or a TopicMapSiteManager.

If publication code depends on a certain implementation, it has
to do an explicit cast and throw an exception if the cast fails.
Maybe it makes sense to use something like ECM's component
selection mechanism.

But the core code should rely only on the generic interface.
This allows to use custom site management concepts in publications
which are not included in the core.

The alternative would be to say "Lenya supports site trees,
topic maps, and nothing else". IMO this would violate the framework
approach.

-- Andreas

Re: loading sitetree of default publication and clustering

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.
Michael Wechner wrote:

> re the cluster we definitely need a repository layer which is able to
> connect to a repository which supports transactions and the sitetree
> needs to reside in there.

ok

> Also the sitetree shouldn't be loaded anymore as a whole into memory.

yes. for clarification, this concerns the server-side sitetree object.

> Re the sitetree navigation within the "Site/Info" area which should use
> XML HTTP or something similar to load it incrementally and not as a
> whole, otherwise we will have performance problems resp. memory problems
> on the client side as well.

ok. to do that requires some time with the javascript we use to draw the
sitetree (to make it XMLHTTP aware, etc)

> It probably makes sense to take a look at other systems (e.g. Daisy,
> Hippo, Magnolia, etc.) how (or if) they solved the problem.

sure

> Also I think it makes sense to implement the Topic Map as another
> implementation during refactoring.

i see three areas that can be tackled independently:

* integrating the repository layer (and make the sitetree object talk to
that)
* adding topic maps as a storage backend for the sitetree object
* refactoring the sitetree js to use incremental updates

lets file bugs for those.

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.
Steven Noels wrote:

> On 21 Dec 2004, at 10:48, Michael Wechner wrote:
>
>> It probably makes sense to take a look at other systems (e.g. Daisy,
>> Hippo, Magnolia, etc.) how (or if) they solved the problem.
>

> We prepare the XML for the entire page (document content, fields,
> navtree) on the backend and send it as one big chunk to Cocoon. We do
> some caching of the navtree (as objects), but nothing else - it's fast
> enough,

what experiences did you make with re number of nodes, e.g. a million?

> and since our navtree nodes need to be checked for ACL access rights
> anyhow, caching won't help that much.

ok, but what about an incremental solution, meaning one only provides
resp. check the nodes which the user is interested in (similar to a thin
client solution or the "file system")?

> Also, I recall Bruno taking a look at the Plone sitemap thing lately.

I guess Plone is making use of Zope DB, right? Well, it's a common problem
and the architecture should be independent of the implementation language.
I guess I need to extend the question to OSCOM and beyond ;-)

thanks for your help on this

Michi

Posted by Steven Noels <st...@outerthought.org>.
On 21 Dec 2004, at 10:48, Michael Wechner wrote:

> It probably makes sense to take a look at other systems (e.g. Daisy,
> Hippo, Magnolia, etc.) how (or if) they solved the problem.

We prepare the XML for the entire page (document content, fields,
navtree) on the backend and send it as one big chunk to Cocoon. We do
some caching of the navtree (as objects), but nothing else - it's fast
enough, and since our navtree nodes need to be checked for ACL access
rights anyhow, caching won't help that much. Also, I recall Bruno

stevenn at outerthought.org                stevenn at apache.org

Re: loading sitetree of default publication and clustering

Posted by Jean Pierre LeJacq <jp...@quoininc.com>.
On Tue, 21 Dec 2004, Michael Wechner wrote:

> Also I think it makes sense to implement the Topic Map as another
> implementation during refactoring.

+1

This is definitely the way to go.

--
JP

Re: loading sitetree of default publication and clustering

Posted by Michael Wechner <mi...@wyona.com>.

Posted by "Gregor J. Rothfuss" <gr...@apache.org>.