Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by John Towell <jt...@cscexchange.cc.edu> on 2000/04/14 14:38:16 UTC

***Tomcat 3.1 Induced System Weirdness???***

Perhaps this is the wrong place to post this but
since this problem came about as a result of
recent efforts to run Tomcat, I'll try here
in hopes that more appropriate places will be
recommended. This is a Pentium III running:

Red Hat Linux release 6.0 (Hedwig)
Kernel 2.2.5-15 on an i686
Apache 1.3.9-8
Tomcat 3.1
rpm-3.0-6.0

After successfully
installing Tomcat 3.1 and running some preliminary
simple JSP form-script combos (even coming in
via the apache side versus the :8080 side),
the apache server is now broken. After some
snooping with RPM I found something very weird
with /usr/sbin/httpd. Here it is:

[root@csclinux sbin]# ls -l ht*
-rwx--x--x   1 1000     root        25714 May  3  2000 httpd

NOTE THE OWNER IS '1000' ???

RPM can't do a forced install as shown next:

[root@csclinux RedHat]# rpm -iv --replacepkgs apache-1.3.9-8.i386.rpm
apache-1.3.9-8
can't rename /usr/sbin/httpd to /usr/sbin/httpd-RPMDELETE: Operation not
permitted
unpacking of archive failed on file /usr/sbin/httpd: cpio: unlink failed -
Operation n
ot permitted

NOTE THAT I CAN'T DO ANYTHING WITH THIS FILE
AS SEEN IN THE FOLLOWING ATTEMPT TO CHANGE OWNER

[root@csclinux sbin]# chown root:root httpd
chown: httpd: Operation not permitted

The weirdness appeared after the system auto-rebooted
while both apache and tomcat were running. Apache is
on normally-installed bootscripts, tomcat isn't.

Note that there are also 3 other files in /usr/sbin with
this mysterious (to me) 1000 owner: access, bind & mail

Any enlightenment deeply appreciated...

'May the evil empire soon become a fascinating legend'

Dr. T