Posted to user@struts.apache.org by Roger Kjensrud <ro...@cj.com> on 2001/01/05 23:57:21 UTC

Logging capability in Struts

Hello,

I've noticed that there is some logging capability inherent in the Struts
framework. However, I wonder if anyone has some experience using some of the
logging/trace packages (e.g., log4j or Jlog) with Struts, and what pros/cons
there are using the log capability within Struts compared to an external
package?

Thank you very much,

Roger Kjensrud

Re: Logging capability in Struts

Posted by "Craig R. McClanahan" <Cr...@eng.sun.com>.
Roger Kjensrud wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've noticed that there is some logging capability inherent in the Struts
> framework. However, I wonder if anyone has some experience using some of the
> logging/trace packages (e.g., log4j or Jlog) with Struts, and what pros/cons
> there are using the log capability within Struts compared to an external
> package?

Currently, the only logging Struts does is via ServletContext.log() -- which any
servlet can use -- and the log messages go to wherever they are configured for
in your servlet container.  You could certainly use something like log4j
yourself.

There has been some discussion of adding a generic Struts logging capability.
However, there is currently a Java Community Process JSR to develop a standard
logging API for Java (which I understand will likely be somewhat similar to
things like LOG4J), so it seems better to wait until that effort is completed.

> Thank you very much,
>
> Roger Kjensrud

Craig McClanahan