Posted to users@tomcat.apache.org by Luke Vanderfluit <lu...@chipcity.com.au> on 2003/08/26 04:49:54 UTC

Re: Servlet re-load question - install fix

Hi,

There's a bug in 4.1.27

there's a fix at the tomcat site,
4.1.27-hotfix-22096.tar.gz
I unzipped the fix somewhere neutral then created the directories by
hand and copied the class file in (otherwise tomcat would complain a bit
when starting)

Also you can use the manager app,
from the startup page of tomcat
http://localhost:8080/index.jsp
choose manager
if you can't get in you'll have to edit /$CATALINA/conf/tomcat-users by
adding admin,manager to one of the roles (it's in the documentation)
restart tomcat for this to take effect

then when in manager, you can easily stop and start webapps, which is
much faster than restarting tomcat,

but with the above fix tomcat detects the changed classes.

hope this helps
kind regards,
Luke

On Tue, 2003-08-26 at 14:43, Atreya Basu wrote:
> I'm having trouble reloading servlets on Tomcat 4.1.27.
>
> The log files indicate that Tomcat notices that the servlet has
> changed.  First time, after updating the servlet, I hit up the servlet I
> get a 500 error and a stack trace.  Every time after that I get a
> resource not available error.
> My context looks something like this:
> <Context docBase="" docRoot="" reloadable="true">
>
> Can anyone please tell me what I can do?  This is pretty serious because
> I have to re-start Tomcat each time somone changes a servlet.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>

> Atreya

"when my computer smiles, I'm happy"
Luke Vanderfluit